1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

How do you call the screen at the back of a chair?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by lennny, Jan 9, 2013.

1. lennny Junior Member

Cantonese
    Hi,

I need to write a piece involving "the screen at the back of a chair". I'm wondering if there's a more professional term for it. The whole sentence is:

"The new barrier-free cinema is now equipped with... screens at the back of the chairs to provide subtitles for people with partial sight"

I feel that "screens at the back of the chairs to provide subtitles" is a bit wordy. Any suggestion to reduce the number of words (e.g. if there's a more professional term for the equipment, as mentioned)

Thanks

2. lennny Junior Member

Cantonese
    Just to add, would subtitling screen be an option? Does that make sense in English?

3. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Hello lennny. :)

I haven't seen these. Do you mean that there is a screen on the back of the chair in front of you? If so, you would say 'screen on the back of the chair'.

Possibly someone knows a special term for this and will tell us both what it is.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    In the aircraft I'm familiar with, they're called personal TVs or personal televisions. But I can see if you want a name that indicates they are for subtitles only, you might like subtitle screen (subtitles screen, with two "s" together, gets a little awkward, and subtitling screen sounds too much like a screen a subtitler might use).

Added: Sorry, I should have waited for clarification, but I imagine they are on the seat back in front of you.

Further addition: Since this is a new technology, I like the explanation of the original and don't feel you should be creating a name that people will have to figure out.

5. lennny Junior Member

Cantonese
    That's ok. Thanks for the "on". I was thinking about that too.

Yes, it's on the back of the chair in front of you, similar to the ones you watch on planes? Google didn't generate any professional terms for me either. So I think it's up for me to invent a grammatically correct phrase for it. That's why I need your help!

How about, "The new barrier-free cinema is now equipped with... extra subtitles display on the back of the chairs..." (I use extra as other subtitling equipment has been mentioned in the earlier omitted part of the sentence.

Thanks!

6. lennny Junior Member

Cantonese
    Yes very helpful indeed! Exactly what I meant!

7. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I've never encountered your term, but in the context of planes or coaches, the term normally used is 'individual screens'. Could that not be used too?

8. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    The new barrier-free cinema is now equipped with a subtitle display screen on the back of the set in front of you.

Note that they're called seats, not chairs.

9. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    The problem I see with a generic name is that people will have the feeling the movie is also displayed on this screen.

10. lennny Junior Member

Cantonese
    Thank you very much. I think that one will do. It's really good in fact.

11. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I didn't see the earlier suggestions before the previous. (Very slow on my mobile phone.) I suppose what I was thinking of was '... with subtitles on individual screens'. (Are they still 'subtitles' if they aren't at the bottom? Perhaps closed captions?)

12. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Shorter, and without the typo ("set" for "seat"):

The new barrier-free cinema is now equipped with a subtitle display (screen) on the seat back in front of you.

You can also leave out "screen," if you like.

13. gramman

gramman Senior Member

I may have missed something, but is this about movie theaters or airplanes? :confused:

14. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Movie theaters ... the airplane reference was to similar screens and what they are called on planes. Since that terminology (personal TV, individual screen, etc.) will already be resident in some people's brains, it makes sense to consider an existing term -- or an adaptation of it -- before we create an entirely new term.

15. lennny Junior Member

Cantonese
    In addition, what is the difference between the usage of seat and chair in this context? I am aware of the thread http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=777570 but it doesn't really answer my question.
    So seat always refers to the thing you sit on in specific places e.g. theatre, bus etc.?

Thanks

16. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I think your last line sums it up pretty well -- the only seat I can think of in a home is a loveseat, a specific type of furniture for two people. Everything else is a chair or sofa (or Stratolounger). :) (Links are to images.)

17. lennny Junior Member

Cantonese
    Thank you so much! :)

18. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
  19. lennny Junior Member

Cantonese
    As a matter of fact I do go! Yes, that's a helpful one too. Thanks