How do you read the multiplication table?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by EnglishBug, Oct 18, 2011.

1. EnglishBug Senior Member

Chinese
    In my native language, we recite the multiplication table like this: "one one equals one, one two equals two, ... five six thirty, five seven thirty-five, ...". I'm just curious how to recite the multiplication table in English.

2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    We say "two times three equals six."

If we said one, one, it would be 11.

3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hi EnglishBug

I think I was primarily taught it as:
    Once two is two
    Two twos are four
    Three twos are six
    Four twos are eight

etc

But I also seem to remember:
    One times two is two
    Two times two is four
    Three times two is six

My memory is rather hazy: it was, unfortunately, a very long time ago!:D:eek:

4. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    Loob, your memory is still good... That's how I remember it as well...

GF..

We don't forget that stuff..... :D

5. Rana_pipiens

Rana_pipiens Senior Member

Salt Lake City, Utah
    USA / English
    Kids would be likely to say is ("Two times three is six.") unless the teacher directed them to say equals. Or to start out saying equals and change to is within a couple of numbers.

The equation "2 x 3 = 6" could also be read as,
    "Two multiplied by three is equal to six."
    However, all those extra syllables aren't likely to be used for reciting an entire multiplication table.:eek:

6. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    My memory is holding up well. Definitely this way of reciting them.

7. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    We all remember things well from when we were young and our brain was about empty. But as it fills up you need to push out some things to make room for the new stuff. The old stuff is there for good; so the new stuff pushes other new stuff out. So you end up forgetting things you read just an hour earlier.

Eleven times ten is one-ten
    Eleven times eleven is one-twenty-one
    Eleven times twelve is one-thirty-two
    Twelve times twelve is one-forty-four

(They only teach to the ten times table nowadays in the USA, so this is added for the youngins who ain't had our advantages. :))

8. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    I can't say I have any clear recollections of 60+ years ago. These days I count myself lucky to know who's in bed with me when I wake up. Luckily it's always the same fellow. As an adult I say "three fours are twelve". I would think that as small kids we said "Three times two makes six" because we called them " the 'times' tables", " We're doing the six times table now!" We called multiplication 'times'- "we're learning how to do 'times' sums". We chanted the tables every morning and got tested, both written and oral. These days they talk about numeracy, not 'sums', and they seem to use the proper terms.

Hermione

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  9. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    I learnt my "times" tables too (I somehow missed the 9 times table and have difficulty to this day - perhaps I should attend remedial numeracy classes!).
    I wonder if they still teach the "twelve times" table since the currency went decimal a little while ago. The 12 times table always seemed useful in the days of pounds, shillings and pence :)

10. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    It was useful for commerce too (and probably still is useful). Even today many items are sold by the dozen or the gross (in the USA). So it was useful to know that six dozen (or a half-gross) was equal to seventy-two; or that a quarter gross (three dozen) equals thirty-six, etc.