1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. schultz0123 New Member

U.S.
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but how do you say "ninth grade," "tenth grade," and "eleventh grade" in french.

Thanks for the help.

2. claude123 Senior Member

Montreal
    France, French
    If it is for a Quebec audience, it is probably neuvième année, dixième année, onzième année.

3. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    I don't even know what these mean in English, as I'm in the UK and we have a different system over here. Could you please tell us what ages the different grades refer to?

4. richago

richago New Member

In the past time primary school class - children about 6 to 12 year old - was called onzieme, dixieme, etc... until Sixième to Terminal that is High School.But now primary class are called CP; CE1; CE2; CM1; CM2
    CP is for Cours Préparatoire
    CE is for Cours Elémentaire
    CM is for Cours Moyen

5. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    ninth grade is troisième in France, tenth is seconde and eleventh is première.

6. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    In the US, 9th grade = 1st year of high school (freshman), ~14 years of age; in QC, sécondaire III;
    10th grade = 2nd year of h.s. (sophomore), ~ 15yrs old; or sécondaire IV;
    11th grade = 3rd year of h.s. (junior), ~16 yrs old; or sécondaire V (in QC, students can then go on to CEGEP for a 3 yr certificate or DEC, or do 2 years @ CEGEP & then transfer to university for a "baccalauréat")
    12th grade = 4th year of h.s. (senior), ~17 years old; in US, upon completion, can either get a professional certificate (1-2 years of study), an Associate's degree (after two years of study), a Bachelor's degree (after 4 years of study), a Master's degree (another 2 years), or a Doctorate (2 more years, I think)

Note: some US schools have 7th, 8th, and 9th grade in one school (middle school or junior high school) and 10th, 11th & 12th grades in senior high or high school.

In QC, there is kindergarden (maternelle), then 1st thru 6th grades in elementary/primary grades (primaire), then 7th grade (sécondaire I) & 8th grade (Sécondaire II) in the another school; technical high schools (which may be physically part of the regular high school) are called "polyvalent" (the full term is "établissement sécondaire polyvalent") or "poly".

Sorry this is so long! BTW - if things have changed in QC, please post...

7. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada