1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

How is the alefbet introduced to kids in Israel?

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Codinome Shlomo, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Codinome Shlomo Senior Member

Portuguese (Brazil)
    Hello!!

Could you please tell me how is the alefbet introduced to kids in Israel?
    I suppose they first write the alefbet by using block letters, right? Then, after how much time using block do they start with cursive?
    What is taught first: the niqqud or the letters?

Thanks.

2. GeriReshef

GeriReshef Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Most of the children arrive to the first class of the primary school when they already know the alefbet: the "block letters" and their names, or at least - to count them from א to ת .

In the begining of the first class they learn to read and write them with Nikud,
    and in the end - to write "cursive letters" (I guess this is the term in English).

From now on (the end of the first class) they will write "cursive" and read "block", and after that will leave the Nikud - first when writing and later when reading, though many texts will still appear with nikud: the Bible, poetry, etc.

3. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    I don't think most kids can read since before primary school (I did, but I'm not an example). Also, you meant "first grade", not "first class". I think cursive was taught to me in second grade.

4. GeriReshef

GeriReshef Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Unfortunately my English is very poor.. :(

However: the kids already know the names of the letters, but as you said - are not able yet to read and write.

5. Codinome Shlomo Senior Member

Portuguese (Brazil)