How is your trip in China/China trip going so far?

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by baosheng, Dec 27, 2012.

1. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English

I have some friends travelling around China and want to ask them how their trip is going. They are going back to see friends/relatives and maybe travel too.

my try: "你(们)的中国旅行过得怎么样"?

Perhaps the word order/way of saying it might be different in Chinese though...
    (I thought of adding 到目前为止, but it sounds 'heavier' and less idiomatic than in English, doesn't it? (or I could be wrong!))

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance/谢谢!
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

I have some friends travelling around China and want to ask them how their trip is going. They are going back to see friends/relatives and maybe travel too.

Canadian friends? They are going back to China? To Canada? Where are they going back to? Who maybe travel too? I'm very confused... @.@???

Never mind, I can always check the Chinese sentence...
    你(们)的中国旅行怎么样? is ok. No 过得.
    过得 is strange here because it is almost always used in "to live a life/to spend days". It's about "normal" days and lives. 日子过得怎么样 or 生活怎么样 are the correct combinations. 旅行过得怎么样 is weird. You don't use 过得 on a special event.
    Or you can also say 你们在中国过得怎么样?
  3. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    I suppose the louzhu is talking about some Chinese friends living in Canada who are going back to China.
    Personally, I prefer to use 旅行/旅游 as a verb:
    I don't know if they are correct and sound natural in Chinese. Maybe mine is a dialectal influence.
  4. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English
    Ah, sorry, it was perhaps a bit confusing in my first post--they are Chinese friends going back to China to travel (from Canada). It is a trip, but with the main activity/objective being to visit friends/relatives (and not necessarily 'travel around' very much and see tourist attractions, etc).

Thanks, SuperXW and Youngfun, for your correction + replies!
    Happy Holidays
  5. sesame_fr Senior Member

we dont say often 旅行 in our conversation in the daily life:你们在中国玩得怎样?/在中国玩得可好?
  6. tarlou Senior Member

The 3 sentences
    are all understandable. But the second and third ones are not good, though I can't figure out any grammar mistakes. They sound a little bit like (at least to me) asking how much percentage
    of the whole trip people have finished rather than asking if everything goes well. I'm not able to identify the exact meaning because native speakers won't say these two sentences.

你(们)在中国玩得怎么样? is much more natural.
  7. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English
    @sesame_fr and tarlou
    Thank you guys as well!

Ah I think this is good. I hear it often but didn't think of it when translating! Would this only be good if the trip was mainly for pleasure/travelling around? (I guess seeing friends/relatives is still "playing", right?) I am assuming for a business trip "玩" would no longer be appropriate, right? (I notice 玩 has a lot more of a broad meaning than in English)
  8. tarlou Senior Member

That's a good question. 玩 is not good for a business trip, maybe it's also not so good if the purpose is only visiting friends.

For general purpose, I would say 在中国一切都好吗? or 最近一切都好吗?
    For a business trip, I would say 在中国一切都顺利吗? or 中国之行一切都顺利吗?
  9. sesame_fr Senior Member

For your first situation, you can say 你们在中国玩得怎样?/这次中国之行如何?/你们在中国待得怎样?/这次去中国,还好吗?……
    For a business trip: 这次中国之行如何?/你们在中国待得怎样?/这次去中国,还好吗?…… Yes,玩 means play,but maybe enjoy。So in certain cases we can say 你们在中国玩得怎样?Because we suppose that in a businesse trip we can also enjoy the strangers culture and scenes or visite some touriste sites. So it depends on your intention of interrogation.
  10. BODYholic Senior Member

Chinese Cantonese
    The rest has already explained that 过得 is not suitable for this context. For something more general, you may also say "你们在那里怎么样了?". And if it is too vague for your friends to grasp, you can reinforce it with additional questions like "去了哪些景点?" and "好玩吗?".
  11. alejandro123 Junior Member

How about if we change 旅行 with 旅途 or 旅程, for example 你的旅途怎么样/旅途玩得怎么样?
    it still means: how was your trip/journey or the meaning is different using these words?
  12. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Not good.
    1. 旅途 and 旅程 emphasize "the path of the travel", which is not necessary here. For example, flight or train companies would wish you 旅途/旅程愉快.
    2. These two are both formal words, which are not colloquial.