How long are you going to stay?

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by afx, Jan 29, 2013.

1. afx Senior Member

slovak
    你 好

Which one is correct?

你 要 多 久﹖
    你 要 多 久﹖

谢谢你的回复

2. pomelo duan New Member

Beijing
    Chinese (Mandarin)
    I use only the second one. But the dictionary says 呆 can be used equally as 待. So both are correct.

3. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

Well, I think both words are used, but I prefer 待, as 呆 makes me think of 发呆 or 傻呆呆的(sort of "stupid").
    Another thing is, maybe, 呆 implies someone stays and does nothing, e.g. 呆在家里 could mean "to stay at home doing nothing". This is my personal feeling.

4. zhg Senior Member

Chinese
    Here is an well-written article having a thorough discussion about the use of "呆" and" 待 ". While both are in use,the author prefers using “待” to "呆" when meaning "stay".

5. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    Only one is correct in , that is, "你要多久". will be considered an error or typo, or guessed as a Mainland simplified character for 待.
    “呆”直到新中国建立前后,尤其是建国后才逐渐出现“停留”的含义 (http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_5375d4df0102e568.html)。 It is a recent development associated with Mainland Chinese, and therefore it is not a usage readily accepted by all Mandarin speakers.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. placebonk

placebonk New Member

Chinese
    In some circumstances,both dai can be used. But I prefer 待。That's why:
    ,<adj.>slow-witted; dull; blank; <v.> stay
    ,(dai1) <v.> stay
    (dai4) <v.> treat;deal with;entertain;wait for;

REASON: Using 呆 can be ambiguous and lead to misunderstanding(产生歧义)——你 要 多 久 means a. How long will you stay? (it's a simple question) b. How long will you be dull? (which implies you have been dull for some time.)

7. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

I think one possible reason of people using 呆 instead of 待 is that:
    待 is primarily pronounced dai4, while in 待在家里 it's dai1. So some people turned to use 呆 which only have the 1st tone to replace 待.

8. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    Very good hypothesis. However, such substitution drastically deviates from their primeval meanings, that is, 待 'wait' (first attested in Late Zhou, from Proto-Sino-Tibetan *dhɨ 'wait upon') and 呆 "mentally weak" (Beijing dialect of an unknown origin). It is therefore seen by some as a corruption of the Chinese language.

9. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Language is a living entity and it always evolves, so changes are to be expected...But hey, you're leading people (and me ;)) off topic, Skatinginbc!
    Please refrain from such tendency and keep to the question asked!

10. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Yeah, I wonder how many of us use 呆 this way. As SuperX keenly remarks, the orthographical choice of 呆 may have been made just due to phonetic reason, at least in the beginning. However, it often happens that the written form of a word can come to affect the original meaning of the word (for example, I can't help feeling some negative connotation whenever I see the expression 賊亮, although I'm aware that 賊 is simply used as an intensifier and has nothing to do with "thief").

So perhaps nowadays in many people's minds there are actually two different words?

1) dai1 待 "to stay"
    2) dai1 呆 "to idle; loiter; hang around"

What do you think?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013