How long are you going to stay?

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by afx, Jan 29, 2013.

1. afx Senior Member

你 好

Which one is correct?

你 要 多 久﹖
    你 要 多 久﹖

2. pomelo duan New Member

Chinese (Mandarin)
    I use only the second one. But the dictionary says 呆 can be used equally as 待. So both are correct.
  3. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

Well, I think both words are used, but I prefer 待, as 呆 makes me think of 发呆 or 傻呆呆的(sort of "stupid").
    Another thing is, maybe, 呆 implies someone stays and does nothing, e.g. 呆在家里 could mean "to stay at home doing nothing". This is my personal feeling.
  4. zhg Senior Member

Here is an well-written article having a thorough discussion about the use of "呆" and" 待 ". While both are in use,the author prefers using “待” to "呆" when meaning "stay".
  5. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Mandarin 國語
    Only one is correct in , that is, "你要多久". will be considered an error or typo, or guessed as a Mainland simplified character for 待.
    “呆”直到新中国建立前后,尤其是建国后才逐渐出现“停留”的含义 (。 It is a recent development associated with Mainland Chinese, and therefore it is not a usage readily accepted by all Mandarin speakers.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. placebonk

placebonk New Member

In some circumstances,both dai can be used. But I prefer 待。That's why:
    ,<adj.>slow-witted; dull; blank; <v.> stay
    ,(dai1) <v.> stay
    (dai4) <v.> treat;deal with;entertain;wait for;

REASON: Using 呆 can be ambiguous and lead to misunderstanding(产生歧义)——你 要 多 久 means a. How long will you stay? (it's a simple question) b. How long will you be dull? (which implies you have been dull for some time.)

7. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

I think one possible reason of people using 呆 instead of 待 is that:
    待 is primarily pronounced dai4, while in 待在家里 it's dai1. So some people turned to use 呆 which only have the 1st tone to replace 待.
  8. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Mandarin 國語
    Very good hypothesis. However, such substitution drastically deviates from their primeval meanings, that is, 待 'wait' (first attested in Late Zhou, from Proto-Sino-Tibetan *dhɨ 'wait upon') and 呆 "mentally weak" (Beijing dialect of an unknown origin). It is therefore seen by some as a corruption of the Chinese language.
  9. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

English (UK)
    Language is a living entity and it always evolves, so changes are to be expected...But hey, you're leading people (and me ;)) off topic, Skatinginbc!
    Please refrain from such tendency and keep to the question asked!
  10. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Hong Kong
    Yeah, I wonder how many of us use 呆 this way. As SuperX keenly remarks, the orthographical choice of 呆 may have been made just due to phonetic reason, at least in the beginning. However, it often happens that the written form of a word can come to affect the original meaning of the word (for example, I can't help feeling some negative connotation whenever I see the expression 賊亮, although I'm aware that 賊 is simply used as an intensifier and has nothing to do with "thief").

So perhaps nowadays in many people's minds there are actually two different words?

1) dai1 待 "to stay"
    2) dai1 呆 "to idle; loiter; hang around"

What do you think?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013