1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

How long / How much time

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by riglos, May 15, 2006.

1. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    ¡Hola a todos!

Me gustaría saber si ambas expresiones son equivalentes y pueden ser usadas en los mismos contextos. También apreciaría comentarios acerca del uso de cada una (cuál es más o menos frecuente), en el caso de que las dos sean usadas.
    Ejemplos:

How long does it take to get to the airport?
    How much time does it take to get to the airport?

Thanks in advance!

Mara.-

2. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    The two expressions are equal. and used with the same frequency.
    Los dos expresiones son equivalentes y pueden usarlos en los mismos contextos.

3. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    ¿No hay ninguna de las dos que sea más idiomática, frecuente en el habla o correcta en determinado contexto?

¡Gracias nuevamente!

Mara.-

4. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    No ... as long as you write the expressions correctly, i.e, how much time (measurable), how long, how many times (veces) (countable)

5. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    But Trixie, is there any situation where these two would be used differently? I can't think of any at this very moment, can you?

How much time does the film last?
    How long does the film last?

In this case I'd go for the second version, though I can't justify this decision, which would be only based on "what sounds best to my ear". Am I right in my choice?

Thanks!

Mara.-

6. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Senior Member

Madrid
    España - Español
    I thought that how much time was bad grammar. It really sounds like an awful translation from Spanish into English. I was repeatedly corrected and it took me a long time to stop saying it. So, this is a complete surprise!

7. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Well, I had quite the same assumption as you, bones! Any other native speakers willing to comment on this?

Thanks!

Mara.-

8. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Your question was about "taking time." How much time does it take to do something, How long does it take to do something, both work.

In the case of the duration of a film, a film "lasts" or "runs" (--at the cinema") for x number of minutes. Also, it´s x number of minutes "long." Other things "last" or "endure" x (measured) amount of time.
    How long did the film last? About two hours.
    How much time did the film run? (on the projector) About two hours.
    How long will our love last? About two hours ... (ha ha)

I don´t know that there´s a rule ... but I couldn´t rule out using "how much time" as bad grammar.

9. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    "how much time...
    does it take to go to..
    to boil an egg?
    did you spend with her?

No grammer problems here!

10. Eloisa Giseburt Senior Member

USA
    Spanish- Mexico
    I would not say it is bad grammar, but I would say it sounds more "natural" to use how long....

11. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    No, not really, what sounds natural is what fits with a certain choice of words.

There is absolutely nothing grammatically incorrect with "how much time", depending on what the rest of the context is. Nor if used appropriately, does it sound more or less natural with x or y. The only thing I can´t cite, is a particular rule

12. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Y ¿Cómo los dirías en español?

¿Cuánto tiempo te tarda de llegar al aeropuerto?

13. COLsass

COLsass Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it's always "en"

14. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    No, para la versión en español habría que cambiar un poco la esctructura. Yo diría:

¿Cuánto (tiempo) se tarda en llegar al aeropuerto?
    ¿Cuánto tardás en llegar al aeropuerto?
    ¿Cuánto tiempo lleva llegar al aeropuerto?

Mara.-

15. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Scotu, what do you mean by your last post? I'm afraid I can't understand it.

Mara.-

16. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    How long does it take to get to the airport? - Esta es la más común.

How much time does it take to get to the airport?

17. Holacomoesta

Holacomoesta Senior Member

United States
    English-USA
    "How long..." is used much more often and sound much better. Note that you can also use "how long..." for measurement

"How long is the movie?"
    "How long is the branch?"

Saludos!

18. bicimario New Member

Mexican Spanish
    Se pregunta how much time? cuando esperas como respuesta un tiempo preciso y regularmente acompañado con "take" o "spend" que a su vez hacen referencia del tiempo que se "toma" o se "pasa". how long? es mas contestado con aproximaciones de tiempo, no preciso. Por comodidad es mas usado How long?

19. bicimario New Member

Mexican Spanish
    Se pregunta how much time? cuando esperas como respuesta un tiempo preciso y regularmente acompañado con "take" o "spend" que a su vez hacen referencia del tiempo que se "toma" o se "pasa". how long? es mas contestado con aproximaciones de tiempo, no preciso. Por comodidad es mas usado How long?

You ask how much time? when you expect an answer with precise time and often along with "take" or "spend" that make reference to a more specific time period. How long? is answered with approximate time, not precise.For commodity people use How long? more.