1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

How many can you remember?

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by mdb, Dec 2, 2012.

1. mdb Senior Member

Manchester, UK.
    UK English
    Hi,
    I want to ask a group of children how many names for school subjects they can remember.
    My attempt: An wie viele Schulfächer könnt ihr euch erinnern?
    Doesn't sound right though...can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance,
    mdb

2. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    I am afraid I have to disagree with you here.:)

3. mdb Senior Member

Manchester, UK.
    UK English
    Haha, ok thanks! That's good to know!

4. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Hi, I have a question, what exactly is a "school subject"?
    Is it the same as in German "Schulfach"/"Unterrichtsfach" or is it different?
    Schulfächer are groups of lessons with the same subject, for example Lesen, Schreiben, Zeichnen, Mathematik, Sport, Geographie, Physik, Astronomie (this is not a Schulfach anymore in Saxxony, however) and others.
    Astronomie was a Schulfach but is now part of a Schulfach. Is is a school subject in this case? I think so, but am not sure.
    I read the article http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subject_(school) but it does not make it clear.

Usually you get a "Zensur" for each "Schulfach" at the end of a year.

PS: During my time in school it was usually called "Unterrichtsfach" rather than "Schulfach".
    Did this change? Or are both equal? How about the style?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  5. TheKingOfSpain Senior Member

English - Canada
    Yes, a subject is a specific area of information/skill in school. I would say as you get more and more detailed (and into higher levels of education) the lines between "courses" and "subjects" blur. For example, the subjects I am personally taking right now are Math, Computer Science, German and Music. However, the courses I am taking are Calculus, Algebra, Popular Music History, German and Computer Science. So already there's some overlap as to what is a subject and what is a course. I would call Calculus and Algebra subjects as well, although Popular Music History sounds less like a "school subject" and more like a "course" within the broader subject of Art or Music. In general, the larger field or learning/study is the subject, and it may contain other subjects. i.e. Calculus within math. Courses can be taken within these fields, sometimes with the same name.

I know this is a rather wishywashy paragraph that I've written, but hopefully some meaning gets across.

Another thing to note is that it would be totally normal to ask a young child "What subjects do you have?" but that would sound weird to ask to a University student. A University Student could however discuss their "subjects" but in general it would have a slightly different meaning. This difference comes from the gradual specification of the material that students cover.

Also this probably deserves a new thread.

6. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Same is true in Germany since the 1970s (in the West before reunification; not in the whole country). In the last 2 or 3 years grammar school (gymnasiale Oberstufe) you have Fächer in which you take Kurse.