How many questions did you get wrong?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by panjandrum, Jan 14, 2009.

1. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Half-listening to the radio yesterday I heard something that sounded very odd to me. I've been wondering about it ever since so I think it's time to seek the views of the experts.

Suppose you and your friends have just completed a written test and it has been marked. You want to know how everyone else did in the test. Which of the following would you ask:
    1. How many questions did you get wrong?
    2. How many answers did you get wrong?

The person on the radio said (2). I would have said (1).

2. Sallyb36

Sallyb36 Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    British UK
    The pedantically correct reply would be 2) - how many answers did you get wrong, but probably the majority of people would say 1).

3. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    In order of preference, for colloquial AE:

That's how young students would approach the matter, at least back in the dark ages when I was a young student.

4. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    You are one of a group of schoolchildren coming from school. You've just done a test, which has been corrected. Consider these statements (I'll put my reaction after each):

How many questions did you get right?:tick:
    Did you get the answer to question 3?:tick:
    Did you get the answer to question 3 right?:thumbsdown:sounds like a roundabout way of saying 'did you get question 3 right?'
    How many answers did you get right?:tick:
    Did you get question 2 right?:tick:

I think schoolchildren say both. Like Panj. I prefer 1.

5. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    How many did you get right/wrong? (Mention of 'questions' or 'answers' seems a bit superfluous to me:))