How the thesaurus works

Discussion in 'WR Thesaurus' started by mkellogg, May 11, 2011.

1. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    This is a short tutorial on how to use the thesaurus' special features.

In the thesaurus, you can click:
    Add a term - this gives you a text box to type in an addition to the thesaurus entry. Your suggestion will show up immediately and will soon be reviewed by our editors.
    Add context or an example to any term - Allows you to vote on a term :thumbsup::thumbsdown:, or to add a contextual note.

Any time you add a term or add some context, that entry will show up in the WR Thesaurus Forum for others to see.

WR Thesaurus Forum
    You will see two things in the forum listings:
    1. Thesaurus entries that have recently changed.
    2. Discussion threads about thesaurus entries.

Create a thread with the title the same as the forum entry to discuss it. So, if you are discussing the thesaurus entry for "no", a thread with the title of simply "no" will be automatically linked to the thesaurus entry.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Hello Mike,

I have a couple of questions... First, can we suggest new senses? And what if I want to contribute a term which is semantically related to a word but not exactly a synonym? Should we discuss such terms here before adding them to the Thesaurus?

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask for clarification. :eek:

Best,

José

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    New senses? We are working on a way to add new senses, as well as completely new entries. It should be ready soon.

Non-synonyms - Yes, a thesaurus entry should contain "word choices", which is much wider than just synonyms. Often a thesaurus is most useful when you are thinking of the wrong word and need to find the right word.

4. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Great. :):thumbsup:
    Exactly. That's why I would hesitate to suggest new synonyms for some terms: say I want to contribute a couple of synonyms for "love" (noun). We have four definitions but I feel like suggesting a semantically-related word like "crush" or "flame"—I find it hard to categorise those terms under any of the four senses we have. So, we would need a new sense or definition with which those words would fit better.