1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

How to ask someone politely to send me something a.s.a.p. [as soon as possible]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by LittleBrother, Mar 10, 2011.

1. LittleBrother Junior Member

Romanian
    Hi again folks,

I've got a specific situation for which I'm in need of your expertise.

I'm gathering some manuscripts and I've set a deadline for sending them. All authors will abide to that deadline. However, it is common knowledge that people often wait until the last minute to do something. This is why I'd like to politely ask authors not to leave it to the last day to send their content.

The main reason I am doing this is because I want to avoid stockpiling manuscripts. I'd much rather start reviewing papers one by one in advance.

So basically, I need your help to build up a sentence in which I kindly ask authors to send me the manuscripts a.s.a.p. even though they are not obliged to do so.

Any suggestions? All I can think of sounds weird...

Thanks a lot!

2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Hi LB. Well, you've got all the material you need already in the highlighted bits above:)

3. LittleBrother Junior Member

Romanian
    He he thanks ewie. But please bear in mind that I don't know these persons and that it may sound rude if I tell them I don't want to receive all their manuscripts in the last few days, thus if they've finished work they'd better submit it now! :)

4. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    I don't find the statements ewie highlighted rude in the least; I think they're quite appropriate.

5. LittleBrother Junior Member

Romanian
    Oups then! :)

I always thought it is best to ask a native speaker!

Thanks a lot!

6. jessi1 New Member

English-USA
    "Please send me your manuscripts at your earliest possible convenience."

7. Fabulist Senior Member

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    You might say something like, "While the formal deadline for manuscripts is ______ and I can accept them until that date, it would be much easier for me to review them if at least some of them came in earlier. If you can finish your manuscript before _______, please do so, and send it to me then. If you have finished it already, I would very much appreciate your sending it to me immediately."

You can add an explanation of how sending them would be better for the authors. Reasons might include that you could do a better editing job for the whole collection, which would make everyone look better; that if you have to ask for revisions, you could provide more time for those the earlier you actually receive their contributions; and whatever other advantages would accrue to the overall project from a saner flow of manuscripts than a flood on the day of the deadline. This will depend on whether you are putting together a panel discussion at a professional meeting, editing a festschrift, editing a special issue of an academic journal, or something else.

8. LittleBrother Junior Member

Romanian
    This is exactly what I've been looking for! My total praise to you!

However, I am grateful to all those who bothered to reply! This forum has helped me (as a non-native English speaker) a lot since I've joined.

Thank you!

9. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I agree with Fabulist that it's important to let the authors know that it's to their advantage to get their manuscripts to you early. Phrases like will receive the most careful attention of our editorial staff and will give us time to consult you should any questions arise . . .