How to describe someone who "holds a grudge" ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by indigoduck, Oct 12, 2010.

1. indigoduck Senior Member

Canadian English
    Hi all,

How to call/describe someone who has the characteristic of "holding a grudge" towards you ?

Would you call them "stingy", "emotionally stingy" or even the opposite of "generous"... or simply "grudge holder".

But i don't think this term exists in english.

For example:
    Me: "Lend me 5 bucks ?"
    Them: "Why should i lend you 5 bucks? You didn't lend it to me last time"

Thanks in advance.

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I'd be tempted to use a word like "unforgiving" to describe our grudge holder.

3. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Resentful?

4. Aserolf

Aserolf Senior Member

Colorado, USA
    Spanish/Torreón☺MEX
    Yes, 'resentful' is the word...

5. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I think "resentful" works; however, somebody can be resentful about some particular thing without being a person who characteristically holds grudges. If I wanted to make that distinction, I would modify "resentful" with some other adverb like "characteristically", "chronically", "often/frequently", or "by nature": He's chronically resentful/ he's resentful by nature.

6. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    I could suggest that grudging or begrudging are the best adjectives to describe somebody who bears a grudge.

NB indigoduck - normally "bear" not "hold" a grudge - at least in BE.

7. indigoduck Senior Member

Canadian English
    My carelessness. Nope, you're right, "bear" a grudge rather than "hold" in America as well. I assume BE means "British English".

8. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I assume BE means "British English"--That's right, Indigo Duck.

9. HalfEmptyHero Junior Member

American English
    You could also say "He has a chip on his shoulder."

10. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    That's interesting. I would use grudging and begrudging to describe someone who helps or cooperates with others only reluctantly. I don't know whether that is an AE/BE difference, or whether it is something specific to me.

If someone tended to remember every time they thought they had been wronged, or treated unfairly, I would call them unforgiving, as Owlman suggests.

If someone seemed to enjoy holding a grudge, or to treat them as bigger than they originally were, I would say that they "nursed a grudge", or "nursed grudges". I can't think of an adjective that would say the same thing.

11. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    You can also say "rancorous", although it's quite a formal term.