1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

How to end a letter of motivation ?

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Lindsay52, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Lindsay52 Junior Member

France , English / French
    Hi

I was wondering how i could end a letter of motivation ?

I was trying to find an equivalent for " Dans l'attente d'une réponse positive , veuillez agréer l'expression de mes sentiments les plus distingués", but I couldn't find it .

If someone could help me out !

Thanks

2. tamanoir

tamanoir Senior Member

Paris IVème
    French France
    I look forward to hearing from you soon/to meeting you/to talking this through with you. Yours sincerely.

3. stevetur

stevetur Junior Member

Bath
    France
    I think that rather than saying a letter of motivation , you should say a speculative letter or covering letter.

If a native could confirm...

4. NYCPrincesse Senior Member

New York
    English, USA
    There is not one set form for a cover letter in English. One possible ending of a cover letter is to say simply, "Thank you for your consideration." This is written after you mention having enclosed your CV, the possibility of coming for an interview and that you would be happy to provide references. You can also add, "I look forward to hearing from you." (Note this is the American version, I'm not sure if it is different in the UK...)
    Hope that helps!

5. NYCPrincesse Senior Member

New York
    English, USA
    You're right, stevetur, definitely a cover letter. Good to point it out!

6. Lindsay52 Junior Member

France , English / French
    I know we can say a covering letter but in the form i was sent, it was written letter of motivation, so i guess both can be said, it maybe depends on the context.

7. NYCPrincesse Senior Member

New York
    English, USA
    Perhaps in the UK. I've actually never heard "covering letter" either...we Americans are so simple ;-)