1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

How to make a verb causative?

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Rethliopuks, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Rethliopuks Junior Member

Shenzhen, PRC
    Mandarin
    Hello.
    Recently I've found the causative construction of verb in Japanese really convenient.
    E.g. iku "go" - ikaseru "let/make/allow to sb./sth. go",
    nomu "drink" - nomaseru "let/force/make (sb.) drink",
    siru "know" - siraseru "let/make/allow to know".

So I want to know how to do similar thing in Latin, like if I want to express something like
    "Let him die(=kill him, but not using the verb "kill")"
    "You(sg.) let me be free/make me free/set me free" (I guess Me liberas would be okay but here I don't want to use verbs like "liberate")
    "I will not let you(sg.) know the truth".
    I'm also having problem with the English structure "have the wall repaired". I can express it in Japanese (kabe wo naosaseru) but I can't translate it into latin.
    Is it okay to use subjunctive when it is in the present tense?
    And how should I apply the formation in all the tenses and voices?
    Thanks.
    ===
    P.S.For the sense of "allow, permit", I've found a verb "sino, sinere, sivi, situs", and is the structure "te facere sino" fine?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    Latin did not have fully productive causative morphology, although in many cases causativity can be expressed by switching conjugations (cf. factitive verbs in -āre) or by compounding with -facio.

Causativity can always be expressed by syntactic means, and you can find a list of causative verbs like sino and their syntactic constructions (ut subjunctive clause, AcI clause, etc.) in Table 4 (p. 10) of this paper:
    Latin causativization in typological perspective
    (Chr. Lehmann)

3. asanga Junior Member

Indonesian
    As CapnPrep has said, there's no single causative form of Latin verbs, so you will have to express it by various syntactic means. Some possible translations for your sentences:

moriatur "Let him die"

me facis liberum "You make me free." tuis factis liber sum "I am free by your deeds."

non sinam te veritatem scire "I will not let you to know the truth."

murum reficiendum curo "to have the wall repaired."