1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

How to pronounce HOECHST?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by fatbaby, Jun 7, 2008.

1. fatbaby Senior Member

Beijing
    China Chinese
    Hi, HOECHEST is not a real English word,it's a brand name for a biological product.How to pronounce it in English way?
    Thanks.

2. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    Hoechst stains, which is what I assume you meant, derive their name from German, not English.
    Anyways, I would pronounce it similarly to "hoaxed."

3. fatbaby Senior Member

Beijing
    China Chinese
    xqby, thanks a lot!, It seems you are /were a fellow in my bioprofession.

4. nzfauna

nzfauna Senior Member

Wellington, New Zealand
    New Zealand, English
    I would pronounce Hoechst as [HERSHT], like the first first part of Hersheys, but with a T on the end.

5. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Hoechst is an alternative spelling of "Höchst" and brings up the constant confusion between native BE and AE speakers because of the hard vs soft 'r.'

When Americans see a pronouncer written for BE speakers, the Americans tend to pronounce the hard 'r' and come up with something quite amusing to Germans. (The writer, Goethe, suffers mightily because of the 'r' situation.)

The German ö has a peculiar sound to native English speakers, but you'll be close enough if you take the fish called "hake" (rhymes with "rake") and add an st to come up with "hakest" (one syllable and no "sh" sound at the end.).

On the other hand, many names are mutilated when the cross the ocean and cultures, so one might not find the German pronunciation used locally.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    I'd pronounce it hurkst (but without any r-sound!:D ~ /'hə:kst/).

7. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    I'd say that this is the general pronunciation in BE, and attempts to be as near as possible to the German pronunciation.

8. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    The German ö is pretty close to the o in Colonel, and chs = x,
    so non-rhotic hurkst or hurxt is close enough.

9. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English
    I must admit that I would omit any "r" sound in the word, and use the same guttural pronunciation as the "ch" in loch, with a "t" thrown in at the end. I have no idea how to describe the "oe" except as "er" without the "r".

10. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    An er without the r is exactly what the non-rhotic BE speakers have in mind :)

11. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    The ch as in loch [x] is wrong in this case.

chs = ks in German