1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

How to pronounce...

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by platorepublic, Jul 4, 2013.

1. platorepublic New Member

Bucharest
    English, Cantonese
    How do I pronounce "alergem" (we run) and "mergem" (we go)?

Let's run and let's go is hai să alergem and hai să mergem?

Thanks. Any additional relevant information much appreciated :)

Edit: I just realised alerga is a group A verb hence alergăm.

2. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Hello,

1. /g/ from the word 'mergem' is the same with your /dg/ from, say, your famous Dodge. Then you pronounce /e/ , like /dge/ - 'general'.
    Now the additional info: in my language 'ge' (/dge/ ) is a group of letters never separated, I mean they go together in a syllable: 'gen' (gender), 'geam' (window), ger (freezing or frozen), 'general' (general), 'gemuleț' (small window), 'genealogie' (genealogy), 'gest' (gesture), etc.
    2. /g/ from the word 'alergăm' or 'gonim' (run after) is different. It is the same sound from your 'go', or 'gas'. It's /g/ if there is no /e/ , /i/ or /h/ following this letter.
    E.g. 'goli' (to empty), 'gaură' (hole), 'grozav' (great), 'gusta' (taste), etc.

I hope this was useful.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  3. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    Romanian
    For pronouncing the group of letters "ge" in Romanian mergem or alegem think of the English word gem: pretty much the same sound. To put mergem together think of the short form for Meredith, mer.

And there you have it, mer-gem, the two syllable word :)

As for dodge, I have some reservations, the dge group in there is a more complex sound with faint traces of d in it - to my ears.

Later,