1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

how?

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by the pensive wombat, Mar 18, 2014.

1. the pensive wombat Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    English - British & Australian
    I've stared to teach myself Finnish and have already had help with a previous thread from some good people. I am at an early stage and use a software program along with internet sources.

I am confused about the use of kuinka and miten to translate 'how' in English. Wiktionary suggests that kuinka is more formal than miten.

One example in the software is: Miten sinä menet sinne? 'How do you go there?' Is it more formal to say:Kuinka sinä menet sinne?

And can I say miten paljon for 'how much' or must I say kuinka paljon?

Kiitos.

2. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

My native ear detects no difference in formality in your examples. Miten / Kuinka paljon se maksoi? are both fine. I would probably say kuinka paljon? but I can't think of a reason for that! :D

3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    I'm not a native speaker, but my impression (from the time I've spent studying Finnish so far) is that miten is more common than kuinka in standard Finnish. I most often see kuinka used to modify an adjective or adverb -- kuinka nopeasti "how quickly ... ?", kuinka iso "how big ... ?", etc. -- whereas miten is more commonly applied to a whole clause: Miten voimme tehdä sen? "How can we do it?", Miten hän karkasi? "How did he escape?", and so on.

4. the pensive wombat Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    English - British & Australian
    Many thanks to both of you. Clearly at my age I'm never going to master Finnish grammar. I'd need another lifetime. But when I return to Finland I would like to be able to conduct a few basic transactions and all this helps.