Hows everything in your side/end??

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rabz12, May 26, 2010.

1. rabz12

rabz12 Senior Member

Urdu
    Is this statement correct. How is everything in your side? or Hows everything in your end?

2. colcan Senior Member

At my end we would say at your end.

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    What are you trying to say?
    What is the context?
    What do you think?
    This information is required by the forum rules, and also helps us to help you more effectively.

4. rabz12

rabz12 Senior Member

Urdu
    I dont know how to explain it but let me try.

E.g Person A lives in USA and Person B lives in UK. A says to B : Hows everything in your end? (means how is everything within that area you are living)- I am not a native, hope you will understand,

and next time i will abide by the forum rules.

Thanks

5. Kumpel Senior Member

London, England
    British English
    I wouldn't use it internationally.

6. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    The preposition should be "... on your side" or "... at/on your end". "... in your end?" sounds like a question your proctologist might ask. ;)

7. Kumpel Senior Member

London, England
    British English
    "On your side" would work Br > Am or vice versa, if a reference to 'the pond' has already been made.

I might say to a southern English friend, "how's it going down your end?" and common sense defers the unintended reference to proctology (even though I am partial to a bit of the ol' doppel-on-ton-druh, especially when it annoys a savna*).

Lloyd

*I feel I ought to clarify for non-natives: savna is my eye-dialect equivalent of southerner in a southerner's accent.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  8. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    I would say 'How's everything with you?' if it is an informal friendly relationship, meaning How are you?. If it is some business deal or transaction or plan then I might use '... at your end' meaning your part in the deal, or whatever mutual involvement it is.

:)

Hermione