Hromek (surname)

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by emil233, Dec 14, 2013.

1. emil233 New Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Hi to all. This is my first post. My question is about my surname, which is Hromek. I'm not from the Czech Republic, so I don't know the language, just a few words. I know that the word "hrom" means "thunder", and the -ek suffix is a diminutive. I would like to know the meaning of the word, if it has one. It seems that "little thunder" doesn't make too much sense. Could it be a nickname? Like "man of the thunders" or something like that?
    Thanks!

2. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Hi! The Czech surnames mostly arose from nicknames in order to distinguish many Johns, Josephs, Peters, etc. in a village. Hromek was probably a nickname of a man who often used to say "hrome!" (vocative of hrom, "thunder!") which means "Donnerwetter!" in German, "blood and thunder!" or "Goddammit!" in English.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. werrr Senior Member

Or perhaps a person who was harmful to others like a thunder - see the word hromotluk meaning clumsy person, lummox.

The ending -ek really denotes a diminutive. It could be a part of the nickname itself which was used to belittle the harshness of the basic form Hrom, or it could be a secondary distinguisher to tell a senior Hrom from junior Hromek (senior and junior in whatever sense: father vs son, native vs newcomer...)

4. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    In the Czech Republic there are 1167 persons with the surname Hromek/Hromková, and only 11 persons with the surname Hrom/Hromová.

Other existing variants: Hroma, Hromas, Hromec, Hromica, Hromník, Hromota, etc. and Hromniak, Hromčuk, Grom, Gromek, Gromczak, Gromiak, Gromnica, Gromov, etc. of Slovak, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian origin.

5. emil233 New Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you for your answers!

Well, it seems that there are much more people with my surname, than I thought. By the way, from where did you get this info?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  6. Hrdlodus

Hrdlodus Senior Member