1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

hueco patrimonial

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by lamimi, Sep 18, 2013.

1. lamimi Junior Member

USA
    USA, English
    This term is used when describing the banking crisis in Ecuador. El hueco patrimonial es la pérdida no cubierta con el capital de los accionistas. Would "gap in assets" be accurate? I'm new to financial terms and I'm wondering if there's a set term for this. Thank you!

2. jcwoos Senior Member

english
    If what it means is that the bank's liabilities are greater than its assets, that would be "negative net worth."

3. lamimi Junior Member

USA
    USA, English
    The sentence is: "...cobrar el hueco patrimonial a la banca cerrada". Could this be "collecting the negative net worth from the closed banking system"?

Here is a great explanation of what "hueco patrimonial" means in Spanish. I'm just not sure that "negative net worth" is exactly right.

Por ejemplo cuando el Banco del Progreso entró a saneamiento, los accionistas tuvieron que entregar patrimonio suficiente para garantizar el dinero de los depositantes. Sin embargo existe una diferencia entre lo que los accionistas entregaron y lo que el
    Estado tuvo que asumir para garantizar a los depositantes, esa cifra es el hueco patrimonial.

Can anyone help? It'd be greatly appreciated!

4. jcwoos Senior Member

english
    "Deficit" might be a better choice in that case.

5. Ayutuxtepeque

Ayutuxtepeque Moderador

San Salvador, El Salvador
    Español salvadoreño
    Hola Lamimi:

In English, in a financial context like the one you are referring to, in my opinion, the term that best conveys the meaning of the Spanish word "hueco" is "hole".

Therefore and in light of the aforementioned, I think the expression "hueco patrimonial" can be translated into English as "capital hole".

Please, take a look at the following definition:

Source

In addition, and as an example, please see the use of "capital hole" in a banking context:

Source

Source

Saludes
    :).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  6. jcwoos Senior Member

english
    Maybe that is common in the UK but I never heard "capital hole" in the US.

7. Ayutuxtepeque

Ayutuxtepeque Moderador

San Salvador, El Salvador
    Español salvadoreño
    "Hueco patrimonial" is also a very uncommon term in Spanish and probably used only in Ecuador. So far, and as a Spanish speaker, I had never heard that term before. However, "hueco patrimonial", for Spanish speakers, is an expression perfectly understandable in any Spanish country and in a financial context, no matter if it is common or not, or even if it is used only in one Spanish country.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013