Hunt the Thimble, and other childhood games

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by ablazza, May 14, 2006.

1. ablazza Senior Member

south west england
    English, UK
    I'm sure that Hispanic children have versions of childhood games similar to those of British children.
    Any anecdotes or information about variations of the game, or different games, that anyone remembers about their childhood, would be interesting. What would be the names and vocabulary needed to play, for example, the following games :

Hunt the thimble (an item is hidden in a confined space like a room, and the finder is directed to locate it by being given verbal clues along the lines of 'no, cold, colder, freezing, warmer, hot, boiling, you're burning ...'
    (burning being when the person has virtually touched the item).

Musical chairs (children dance or run round chairs which number one less than the number of kids. When the music stops they all grab a chair, and the one who doesn't get one is 'out', or has to perform a penalty or forfeit).

Grandmother's (or Grandfather's) Footsteps
    (One person stands at one end of the room, while the others creep up behind. If any are seen to be moving when the Grandfather at the end turns round unexpectedly they are sent back to the back of the room).
    You can play a similar version to this using time called What's the Time Mr. Wolf?

Blind Man's Buff (one child is blindfolded and has to catch others in a confined space by using sound and movement).

Look forward to hearing from you before my next class of 'chicos'!

2. aleCcowaN Senior Member

Castellano - Argentina
    Hunt the thimble = En Argentina no recuerdo que tenga nombre. Se dice jugar a "frío, tibio, caliente"

Musical chairs = En Argentina, "el baile de la silla"

Grandmother's (or Grandfather's) Footsteps ---- No conocemos este exacto juego en Argentina. Hay juegos parecidos, como "las estatuas" y "la mancha venenosa"

Blind Man's Buff = En Argentina, y creo que en muchos otros países, se dice "jugar a la gallina ciega"

3. meiga Junior Member

a coruña
    español-españa-coruña
    Hello,ablazza,nice to meet you.
    Firstly I have to say that the name of games can vary according the part of Spain where you are from.Iam from the North and we have similar children games here, which are called:
    -"Hunt the Thimble":we simply call it "frío/caliente",which are the equivalent words for "cold/hot".
    Other words used in the game:
    más frío=colder congelado= freezing templado=warmer caliente=hot
    ardiendo=boiling te quemas= you are burning
    -"Musical chairs"=sillas musicales
    -Grandmother's Footsteps=1,2,3 Zapatito Inglés
    -Blind man's Buff=la gallinita ciega
    Any correction will be welcomed,since my English is not very good.Kissiños

4. Between2mindsGeor

Between2mindsGeor Junior Member

Spain
    español (Argentina/España)
    In my experience (I'm also argentinian)

Hunt the thimble: frio-caliente.. When you are getting to the target, children would shout "caliente" "quema" or if you are far from getting it "friiiiiio" "helado"

Musical chairs: el baile de las sillas
    Grandmother's footsteps: las estatuas (I agree with Aleccowan)

Blind Man's Buff: gallito ciego, or it could also be "la mancha" but I know the latter is translated to "TAG" in AmE, not sure in BrE

Other games I'd add:

Piedra, papel o tijera: that game you play when you want to bet who's going to organize the room or something you don't want to do, then you hide your hand behind your back and after saying "piedra, papel o tijera" you show your hand immitating the shape of a piece of paper (open hand fully), piedra (tight fist), o tijera (pair of scissors, index and middle finger)

El huevo podrido: children sitting in a circle, one is the "Huevo podrido" (rotten egg) and goes around the others sitting singing the song:
    "Jugando al huevo podrido, se lo tiro al distraído, si el distraído lo ve, el huevo podrido es", he/she hides a ball of paper behind one of the children in the circle and if he/she realizes the ball is behind his back, he would run after the Huevo podrido until he catches it. If he can catch it, then he becomes the Huevo podrido and starts all over again.

Do you have any similar game in Britain??

I'm also interested in these games, I used to be an English Teacher in Argentina and though I had a CD with English children songs, I'd never had the chance to learn the games you Britons used to play.

Thanks for bringing up the subject!!!

5. ablazza Senior Member

south west england
    English, UK
    Fantásticos, all of you. Thank you very much.
    The 'piedra, papel, tijera' game sounds good, I didn't think of that one.
    I've never heard of 'el huevo podrido', but it sounds like fun. It has some similarities to 'pass the parcel', which is often played at childrens' birthday parties, where the kids sit in a circle and pass round a parcel, or package. When the music stops the child holding the package has to rip off the next layer of paper, and so it goes on until the end, where there is usually a small treat, eg. bar of chocolate. One could play many different variations of this, like the parcel could be called the rotten egg, and the person left holding it has to perform a forfeit ...

6. Between2mindsGeor

Spain
    We do have that game "pass the parcel" and we call it "El juego del paquete/del regalo" but mostly "el juego de las cajas" as many times what we do is wrap up a present and get it into a box smaller than the next one - sorry, I don't really know how to explain that one box goes into the other.
    What's the English name for the "piedra,papel o tijera" game?
    I've seen it in a couple of series like Friends, but never got the name of it.
    Thanks in advance.

7. Sofia29 Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    El tutti fruti (o basta): scattergories

El teléfono descompuesto: chinese whispers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers

Las escondidas: hide and seek

El ring-raje: consiste en ir a la casa de un vecino, tocarle el timbre y salir corriendo, para que cuando abra la puerta no vea a nadie (la idea es molestar).

La rayuela: hopscotch

Jugar a la mamá: to play house

8. moirag Senior Member

Spain
    English, England
    Hi, yeh the "piedra, papel, tijera" was "brick, brack, brock" in my day , in the north of England. The huevo podrido sounds similar to "Queenie, Queenie, who´s got the ball?" One girl - it nearly always WAS girls - turns her back to the other girls and throws a tennis ball, which one person catches. Evaryone puts their hands behind their back, and they all, in unison, say to the ball- thrower :
    " Queenie, Queenie, who´s got the ball?
    Is she big or is she small?
    I haven´t got it,
    It isn´t in my pocket,
    So, Queenie, Queenie,
    Who´s got the ball?"
    The ball-thrower runs and tries to catch the person with the ball, who then becomes the ball-thrower for the next round.

9. Sofia29 Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Yo siempre oí "rock, paper, scissors".

10. ablazza Senior Member

south west england
    English, UK
    I don't really know a name for it, but my 15 year old daughter assures me that nowadays it is called 'paper, rock, scissors'.

Thanks for the interesting website, Sofia.

While we're on the subject of games, can anyone remind me of the name for 'noughts and crosses' - I used to know it, but have forgotton, and nowadays just call it 'los ceros y las cruces'. What's the real name ?

11. moirag Senior Member

Spain
    English, England
    Tres en raya.

12. Sofia29 Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
  13. Between2mindsGeor

Spain
    I think Ablazza means "tic tac toe" in Spanish, ta te ti

14. ablazza Senior Member

south west england
    English, UK
    Oh yes, tres en raya - 3 in a row - that was it. I've even remembered where I saw it now! Many thanks.

15. mariposita

mariposita Senior Member

madrid
    US, English
    Check out this thread to learn about different versions of tag-your-it:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=124112&highlight=pilla

Also freeze-tag, which is called "estatua" at my son's school.

For really little kids there is corro de las patatas, which is like ring-around-the-rosie.

I saw some kids playing a game that looked a lot like "Red Rover" a few weeks ago, but I didn't ask what it was called. In the game, kids form two lines facing each other with a good distance between them. The lines of children hold hands and say "Red rover, red rover send Billy right over." Billy runs over brutally from the other side and tries to break the line on the opposing side by seeking out the weakest link. If he breaks the line, he takes one of their team members back to his side. If he doesn't, then he has to stay on the other side. Is there a game similar to this in Spain?

We always called it rock, paper, scissors...

16. meiga Junior Member

a coruña
    español-españa-coruña
    boas:I love this threadAnother children game has come to my mind.Here,in Galicia it is called "Huevo,Pico,Araña",which could be translated more or less: "Egg,Sting,Spider". It can be played individually or by teams.If there are only two children,one of them bents over and leans his hands over a wall.The other one jumps at his back and shouts :"Egg,sting,spider"accompanied by a hand gesture. egg:closed hand,like a fist sting: closed hand ,except the forefinger,that is jotting out spider:eek:pen hand,fingers imitating a spiderIf the child who is bent,bearing the other's weight on his back,can guess the gesture correctly they interchange roles.AS far as I have seen,the game is almost exclusively played by boys I have discovered this site a week ago and I'm learning a lotThank you all,you're wonderful.Kissiños from Galicia

17. meiga Junior Member

a coruña
    español-españa-coruña
    Hola a todos:sofía,me ha sorprendido mucho lo de "jugar a la mamá";nunca lo había oído.Aquí se dice "jugar a las casitas".Gracias por tu apunte ,me interesan mucho las diferencias del español de Latinoamérica y el de ESpaña.bks desde Galicia

18. Railway Senior Member

Vigo
    Spain
    Hi to everyone

I remember another very funny game from my childhood. It was called sangre (blood). For this game you'll need a group of children and a ball. Every child has to choose a country to be. Then one child has to take the ball while the others are around him and say: Le declaro la guerra a ... (I declare war to...). Then at the same time that the child with the ball finishes the sentence by mentioning one of the countries that the other children have chosen, he/she has to throw the ball as high as possible. All the children except the one whose country has been mentioned (he/she has to catch the ball) have to run away as fast as they can. Once that the child looking for the ball has caught it, nobody can move. Well, except from him/her, who can give three steps (as big as he/she can) in any direction. After it, he/she has to throw the ball to any of the other children, who except from their feet, can move themselves as much as they want, to dodge the ball. What I don't remember is what happened when you were hit by the ball or when the child throwing the ball missed the shot :) I'm already 28 years old. Too long since I was a child...:)

I hope that i've been able to explain how to play sangre clearly (I'm not sure about it :)) By the way, does this game exist in other Spanish-speaking countries? And in the English-speaking?

Have fun with your chicos!

PS: Please help me to improve my English correcting my mistakes.

19. Railway Senior Member

Vigo
    Spain
    About this, I've been googling. 1'630'000 results are shown for rock, paper, scissors, whereas only 102'000 are shown for paper, rock, scissors.

20. mariposita

mariposita Senior Member

madrid
    US, English
    In English (and other languages, I suppose) there is a natural tendency to list one syllable words first, two syllable words second, etc. It works better rhythmically:

scissors, paper, rock=21,000
    scissors, rock, paper=13,000

21. meiga Junior Member

a coruña
    español-españa-coruña
    boas.
    Hello Railway,
    The game "sangre" was called here "Mónaco declara la guerra a.."
    What happened was:
    The boy who had to throw the ball could either hit any of the other boys and thus eliminate him,or miss the throwing and result eliminated himself.
    As far as I can remember,the last boy remaining won the game and become the new "Mónaco",the new challenger.
    Please,correct my mistakes.
    Kissiños

22. coquita Senior Member

Far, far away from home...
    Español (Argentina)
    "Huevo podrido" I think is like the game where you sing:
    A tisket, a tasket
    A red and yellow basket
    I sent a letter to a friend
    And on the way I dropped it...

Saludos:)