1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hustle-bustle

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Veera, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Veera

Veera Senior Member

NEAR TO MY FRIENDS
    India-Tamil & Telugu
    Hi,

This context is excerpetd from the source : http://www.englishnovels.net/2011/03/novel-illusion-chapter-1.html

Context : Today the entire hustle-bustle of Rajesh’s wedding reception. Rajesh had intentionally selected a spot, neither at an over-crowded town centre nor too far outside the village, surrounded by the green lawn.

The word 'hustle-bustle ' sounds bit strange to me. I didn't find the meaning anywhere.

What does it means?

I assume that this is a phrase. But I am not sure my persuasion is correct.

I left this to native speaker's opinions. Please share your ideas on this.

Thanks in advance.

2. DocPenfro

DocPenfro Senior Member

Little England
    English - British
  3. Veera

Veera Senior Member

NEAR TO MY FRIENDS
    India-Tamil & Telugu
    Thanks a lot Doc for your help. Can I use it in conversations? Or It'll always be used in written articles.

4. DocPenfro

DocPenfro Senior Member

Little England
    English - British
    There would be no problem with your using it in conversation. It is a well-established phrase and anybody should understand it.

5. Veera

Veera Senior Member

NEAR TO MY FRIENDS
    India-Tamil & Telugu
    Thank you so much Doc for your help.

6. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    Unfortunately, this is not a valid sentence. On the one hand, there is no verb. On the other hand, 'the entire hustle-bustle' is left hanging: we are not told what the author wants to say about the hustle-bustle. And why 'entire'?

It seems this oddness of expression is not deliberate, but is due to lack of mastery of English.
    I think we can make this judgement because a few lines further on we find another badly expressed idea:
    Conclusion: do not rely on this author as a guide to good English, written or spoken.