Hustle roses down the avenue

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by sasu, Jul 13, 2007.

1. sasu Junior Member

Español México
    I am translating a poem in which the author describes how sad his life has been since he became an alcoholic and I´m having some trouble with the last part:

"I was born to hustle roses down the avenue of the dead"

I´ve found lots of meanings in different dictionaries but nothing sounds well to me, for example "vender"

Hope you can help me out!
  2. Sonn3883 Senior Member

United States of America, English
    Would it be possible for you to give the line before and the line after the one you provided in order to get just a little more context? The word "hustle" can have different meanings and it is hard to tell exactly which one the author is shooting for here. Regarding verbs, here are a few suggestions:
    "mover a empujones"
    "avanzar de prisa"

But I also have another idea if these verb choices don't suit. If the author doesn't mean hustle as in to hurry, and you can't find the right verb, what if you were to change the verb to a noun, turning hustle into hustler? For example, "Soy un trafagón nato de rosas..."

These are just brainstorming suggestions- nothing concrete. Good luck with your translation!
  3. sasu Junior Member

Español México
    Thank you for helping me out...

on nights I drink away
    and the sadness is great
    I can feel it in my clock
    it becomes my knob upon my dresser
    it becomes a paper on the floor
    it becomes my shoehorn
    life matters a little
    I was born to hustle roses down the avenue of the dead is the last line in the poem.
  4. sasu Junior Member

Español México
    I think traficar sounds well, thank you again.