I’m kindly asking you / I kindly ask you

Discussion in 'English Only' started by colombo-aussie, May 13, 2010.

1. colombo-aussie

colombo-aussie Senior Member

Australia
    Spanish - Colombian
    Hi there,

I want to know which one of these two options is more appriopiated in the following context.

As previously discussed and after having reconsidered my TPD AMP life insurance I have taken the decission to cancel it; therefore, I’m kindly asking you/I kindly ask you to contact AMP in order to stop the progress with the TPD life insurance.

If you have any other suggestion, it would be much apreciated. I just need that this sentence sounds natural.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. K'9999 Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    I don't know if only one is correct, but "I kindly ask you" sounds better to me.^^

3. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Of the two, I would choose "I am kindly asking you" to mean that this letter itself is the request. "I kindly ask you" in this context sounds as though I ask you regularly (more than once).

A formal request might say something like "I hereby request".

The sentence has other problems too, mainly:

"As previously discussed" does not fit here since "I" am not discussed.
    "I have taken the decission" should be "I have made the decision".

4. colombo-aussie

Australia
    Spanish - Colombian
    Hi Forero,

I used "As previously discussed" since I have already talk about this to my financial planner. He just need and email for his records.

Does it fit now?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

5. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    The problem is that "as previously discussed" cannot join with "after having reconsidered ..." to modify "I".

6. colombo-aussie

Australia
    Spanish - Colombian
    You are right and it makes sense now.

I would like to inform you that after having reconsidered my TPD AMP life insurance I have taken the decission to cancel it; therefore, I’m kindly asking you to contact AMP in order to stop the progress with the TPD life insurance.

Hope it sounds better now.

Thank you so much.

7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Just one more point - I'd say the "kindly" has to go with "contact". The writer isn't being kind in asking; he's hoping the recipient will be kind enough to respond to the request.

So:
    therefore, I’m asking you to kindly contact AMP
    or (less good, but to be used if you know the recipient has a dislike - however irrational - of split infinitives):
    therefore, I’m asking you kindly to contact AMP.

8. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
  9. margiemarz Junior Member

Ohio
    English-American
    Also, instead of "kindly asking..." say, "please contact...."

10. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, grammatically, I'd agree with Loob.

I also agree with Margie about avoiding 'kindly'. I associate 'kindly' with sarcasm, as in 'Will you kindly try not to act like a blithering idiot?'

I would just say

11. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Yes, in practice that's the option I'd use, too....

12. colombo-aussie

Australia
    Spanish - Colombian
    Thank you all for taking the time and trying to explain what would be the best option here.... I just learnt a couple more things today!!

Thanks again.

13. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Back to Colombo's original question, I'm afraid I don't agree with Forero's words:
    ' "I kindly ask you" in this context sounds as though I ask you regularly (more than once)'
    for the reason that the very content and tone of the letter does not seem to allow the possibility of a habitual "reading".
    "I ask you", as the structure itself shows, employes the minimum quantity of linguistic material, thus making the sentence more appropriate to the expression of mere "facts".
    "I'm asking you", on the other hand, contains a form of BE which, besides separating the S from the main V, introduces a self-evaluation of the speaker via the verbal adjective "asking". In conclusion, the second sentence is less "factual" and more "personalized", which makes it appropriate to the expression of a more intimate, personal, familiar, intimate attitude.

14. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    I really feel that, of the two choices, "I ask" does not seem to fit this context as well as "I am asking". This may have to do with the present tense have in the previous sentence (Have and am suggest continuity in the present.):

I have reconsidered, and I have made my decision. I ask you to contact AMP. OK
    I have reconsidered, and I have made my decision. I am asking you to contact AMP. Better.

I ask you, what do you mean by that? [Personal, familiar, intimate attitude]

15. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Well, more or less the opposite of "official, stiff, formal, etc.".

16. daviesri Senior Member

Houston, TX
    USA English
    In my office, we are short and to the point. I would say as follows:

I have reconsidered my TPD AMP life insurance and have decided to cancel it. Could you please contact AMP and have them cancel it.