I am (a) Greek

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by shawnee, Nov 29, 2012.

1. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Merhaba friends. I've been meaning to ask the following for some time:
    The first; I am (a) Greek, Google gives me: Ben bir Yunan duyuyorum
    and with added information ..... from Australia I get,
    Ben Avustralya'da bir Yunan duyuyorum
    How good are these for quick fire repartee at the Grand Bazar.

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Ben bir Yunan duyuyorum means 'I hear a Greek'.
    I don't know where that comes from :confused:

I'm Greek = Ben Yunan'ım.

"I'm a Greek from Australia" in the sense that you're Australian but have Greek origins would be: Ben Yunan asıllı (bir) Avustralyalıyım.

3. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Ah! güzel Rallino. Actually, Yunan'ım is how responded last time I was İstanbul'da, which always brought the response Giorgi baçanaki to much amusement. I just thought I'd check (Google?). On my next vısıt I want to try and be a bıt more detailed, and I can now wıth your help, çok teşekkür ederim.

4. Guner

Guner Senior Member

Australia
    Turkish
    Hey Shawnee,
    I had to try it too and it did give the same response :)
    Google Translation really is a piece of garbage. If you have to use one online usually these ones give still weird but better results.
    http://translation.babylon.com/english/to-turkish/
    http://www.ingilizceturkce.gen.tr/
    And try to give as much detail as possible and try to search for a full sentence like :
    "I am a Greek man coming from/living in Australia.",
    "I am a Greek Australian man."

5. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Thanks Guner I will be more mindful in future. I am currently getting my togue around the challenging Avustralyalıyım.

6. sonerk New Member

Turkish
    I'm a Greek from Australia = Ben Avustralya' dan bir Yunanım.

In Turkish when you specifying your nationality, you shouldn't use the apostrophe. => Yunan' ım (wrong) / Yunanım (right)

7. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Yes, you should.

From TDK:

Kesme İşareti ( ’ ) 1. Özel adlara getirilen iyelik, durum ve bildirme ekleri kesme işaretiyle ayrılır: Kurtuluş Savaşı’nı, Atatürk’üm, Türkiye’mizin, Fatih Sultan Mehmet’e, Muhibbi’nin, Gül Baba’ya, Sultan Ana’nın, Mehmet Emin Yurdakul’dan, Kâzım Karabekir’i, Yunus Emre’yi, Ziya Gökalp’tan, Refik Halit Karay’mış, Ahmet Cevat Emre’dir, Namık Kemal’se, Şinasi’yle, Alman’sınız, Kırgız’ım, Karakeçili’nin, Osmanlı Devleti’ndeki, Cebrail’den, Çanakkale Boğazı’nın, Samanyolu’nda, Sait Halim Paşa Yalısı’ndan, Resmî Gazete’de, Millî Eğitim Temel Kanunu’na, Telif Hakkı Yayın ve Satış Yönetmeliği’ni, Eski Çağ’ın, Yükselme Dönemi’nin, Cumhuriyet Dönemi Türk Edebiyatı’na vb.

As you see, the correct spelling is: Yunan'ım.
    The apostrophe isn't used only if the word has received a yapım eki, like: Brezilyalı --> Brezilyalıyım.

8. sonerk New Member

Turkish
    Pardon çok haklısın, sanırım karıştırdım. Düzeltme için çok teşekkürler..
    (** Sorry you're completely right, my bad. Thanks for the correction..)

9. ecdadihifzeylerdi Junior Member

Turkish
    A lot of people also say Yunanlı even though its incorrect. Ben Avustralyalı bir Yunanlıyım / Ben Yunan asıllı bir Avustralyalıyım.

That sentence bugs my ear though since it is very textbookish and simple. I would rather say (as an example in order to converge more to a natural way to speak):

1. Ben Yunan'ım, ancak hayatım boyunca Avustralya'da yaşadım. (I am Greek, however I spent all my life in Australia)
    2. Ben Yunan'ım, ama Avustralya'da yaşıyorum. (I am Greek, but I live in Australia)
    3. Ben aslında (or aslen) Yunan'ım, ancak Avustralya'da doğdum, büyüdüm. (I am originally Greek, but I was born and raised in Australia)

Hope it helps.

10. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Well when I'm in the bazar its probably best I just say yunan'm yok para:) But elsewhere I'd like to be able to be more specific, because if I say either one, Greek, or Australian, alone, people make a whole set of assumptions, which can be way off the mark, The interpretation that best expresses what I'm looking for was given by Rallino in the second post, ["I'm a Greek from Australia" in the sense that you're Australian but have Greek origins would be: Ben Yunan asıllı (bir) Avustralyalıyım.] The nuance of the third example above: [Ben aslında (or aslen) Yunan'ım, ancak Avustralya'da doğdum, büyüdüm. (I am originally Greek, but I was born and raised in Australia)] does not quite catch my intention, and more relevant to my speaking ability, it is much longer and harder to say. But its been a great exercise, I'm glad I asked.

11. Guner

Guner Senior Member

Australia
    Turkish
    Well, unless you know some Greek I wouldn't recommend your exit clause as "yunan'm yok para:)" . You'd be surprised how many languages the people in the Grand Bazaar know ! So they may catch you off guard uttering a few Greek words :) As for "getting your tongue around the challenging Avustralyalıyım" Turkish people are quite good to understand what you are trying to say. So even if you said something like : "Australia-Liam" (like the actor Liam Nesson's firstname ) you should be fine :) If you want to pronounce it more correctly maybe "Avos-Tralia-Liam" is a bit better...Hope this helps :)

12. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Thanks again Guner. I thought it was obvious from my inquiry, and most of my time on the Greek forum that I am a competent Greek speaker. The boys at the bazar are every bit as quick witted as you say and a pleasure to exchange broken languages with. That part I enjoy; my wife's spending is another matter :)