I am currently in my car

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by ryanshanabarger, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ryanshanabarger New Member

Hello all. Are any/all of these correct for that sentence? Please respond using hiragana (haven't learned kanji yet. been studying japanese for 5 days haha).

3。わたしわくるまにいます 。

Okay so:

1. Has all the words.
    2. Leaves out the subject (but im worried it might need context. will the reader/listener know without context that "im" in my car versus "my friend" is in my car"?)
    3. Leaves out the possession. Again, is context needed? Is there a difference between how a japanese native would say "I'm in a car" versus "I'm in my car"?

Thanks for your help!!!
  2. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)

First, the particle は is always written は despite of being pronounced as わ. :)

You can say: (わたしは)いま、(わたしの)くるまのなかにいます。 (if the context is clear you don't need to specify that the car is yours or that the subject is you).

なか= inside

の=of (in this case)
  3. ryanshanabarger New Member

Okay, I understand わたしはいま、わたしのくるま......います。

but can you explain what comes in between? (のなかに)

1. You said なか means "inside", but why is it in between の and に?

2. Why is なか better than using the "subject+place+in (い) verb" model? (わたしのくるまにいます。)
  4. Schokolade Senior Member

(わたしは)いま、(わたしの)くるまのなかにいます would make sense but I'd rather say (わたしは)いま、(じぶんの)くるまのなかです
  5. ryanshanabarger New Member

I can't find じぶん in the dictionary. also, can you explain the use of の after くるま? The other helper added の in a similar place...
  6. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

You didn't find じぶん? What kind of dictionary doesn't have such word?:eek: It means one's own or -self. I recommend you to use this dictionary: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

You'll find most words there, it has a feature for glossing texts, examples, etc. Of course, it will always give kanji but it always gives the reading of such kanji in hiragana.

の means 'of' in this case as I wrote in my first post. It is used to connect なか with くるま. Take it as 'of' or as 's, e.g. ははのくるま = mother's car

じぶんのくるま= my car/my own car
  7. ryanshanabarger New Member

Okay, so the first is making the car my car.... And the second is connecting the "inside" (なか) to that car? What is that still doing there before います?
  8. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

As Schokolade said it'd be better のなかです in this case. のなかにいます means that something is located inside something else. に, in this case, is used to express the location of something. In Japanese you use particles to express specific nuances. に can express the location of something. You could translate it as: in/at.

For instance:

We are in the forest わたしたちはもりのなかにいます (our location is inside the forest)
  9. The Mad King

The Mad King Member

If I wanted to tell someone I couldn't talk to them because I am currently driving, I'd say 「今、運転中(うんてんちゅう)です」, but I'm not a native speaker.
  10. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    If that is the message the OP wants to convey, 車(の中に)いる is inappropriate. 運転中 is fine but we can also say,