I am doing good vs. well

Discussion in 'English Only' started by wizard8451, Oct 4, 2007.

1. wizard8451 Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico, Spanish
    Would it be "I am doing good" or "I am doing well"? Do both work for different situations?

2. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    "Doing good" can mean that you are "doing good deeds/acts", while "doing well" clearly means "doing fine".

3. Solbrillante Senior Member

USA-English
    Hi! Nichec is right, although in US English you will often hear I'm doing good...this is just improper English, and I must say I have caught myself using this (I hate to admit it)!

Sol

4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
  5. Solbrillante Senior Member

USA-English
    Thanks for the links. I have been asked How are you doing? and I say I'm good :)eek:), how about you? and they respond I'm doing fine (with the emphasis on the fine part). Nothing like a short, sweet grammar lesson!

Sol

6. wizard8451 Senior Member

Mexico
    Mexico, Spanish
    Since 'doing' is a word that deals with the senses, it is acting as a linking verb; and since adjectives following linking verbs, I don't see anything wrong with using 'good' to describe your state. If you are feeling happy, then you are feeling good. If you are feeling healthy, then you are doing well.

Is the above statements correct?

7. novice_81 Senior Member

Sweden
    Polish
    Is it correct guys?

8. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    To me, doing has not yet graduated to linking verb status. As an answer to "How are you doing?", "I am doing good" sounds strange to me. "I am doing well" sounds fine. "I am feeling good" answers "How are you feeling?", which is a different question.

There may be some of the idea of "feeling" in "How are you doing?", but it retains enough active meaning for me that I feel "I am doing good" sounds as strange as "Things are going good."

9. Miss Matty Jenkyns Junior Member

Israel
    English English
    Is this not a case of AE versus BE?
    After long exposure to speakers of AE I accept without argument, that when they say"I'm doing good", it is a conventional answer that means that there are no special incidents or problems in their life - NOT that they are fully occupied in doing good deeds. Were they to ask me how I am doing I would reply (being BE), "I'm doing well", thank you.

10. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Good morning, Miss Matty.

I think that when we people (I don't say it) say "I'm doing good" in AE it is slang, or at least informal. So far, at least in my experience, the good/well adjective/adverb distinction is alive and well in AE, except in certain informal set phrases like this one.

But yes, it is said; and yes, it means "I'm doing well". The links in post 4 could be useful and you can find many more by putting /good well/ (without the /s) into the English Definitions dictionary at the top of this page.