I am grateful to you for your help.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mimi2, Oct 28, 2007.

1. mimi2 Senior Member

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi,
    “I am grateful to you for your help.”
    I think why it is “to you” when the next word is “your help”.
    Could I omit “to you”. If I omitted it, how could the sentence be? Does it still keep the original meaning?
    Thanks.

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    "I am grateful for your help." would have the same meaning. The addition of "to you" adds a little emphasis, but would under most conditions not change the meaning in any way.

3. mimi2 Senior Member

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, bibliolept. :)

4. Blues Piano Man

Blues Piano Man Senior Member

Boulder, CO
    USA English
    "I am grateful for your help" is a fairly common phrase in American English. I think it's more common to use the contraction "I'm" for "I am." And it's even more common to just say, "Thanks (or thank you) for your help."

"I am" and "to you" both add formality. That might be good within a formal letter but in conversation it could easily come across as less sincere and/or as a lead-in to a complaint or criticism. For example...

“I am grateful to you for your help. But I really wanted to do it by myself."

I think it's similar to a mother calling her child by his full name. Nearly always means he's in trouble.

5. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Could I say:

"I am grateful to Kathy and Jose for their help" , I mean, is it grammatically correct?

Thanks in advance!