I am happy to see you happy

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by Ishtar08, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Ishtar08 Junior Member

Toscana - Italia
    italiano
    Hi
    would you please help me in translating this phrase "I'm happy to see you happy"??
    please please:confused:

2. Akitlosz Senior Member

Hungary
    Hungarian
    Örülök, hogy (téged(et)) boldognak látlak.
    or
    Boldog vagyok, hogy (téged(et)) boldognak látlak.
    () = optional
    Boldog = happy
    vagyok = I'm
    hogy = that - conjunction
    tégedet = you - accusative
    boldognak = happy - dative
    látlak = I see you
    örülök = I'm happy

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. Ishtar08 Junior Member

Toscana - Italia
    italiano
    Thank you so much Akitlosz!!!
    If I would write "Boldog, hogy téged boldognak" would have still sense? would that mean "Happy to see you happy"?

4. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    No, you can't just drop "vagyok"="I am" in Hungarian.

The best version is "Örülök, hogy boldognak látlak."

I would never use "tégedet" and even "téged" is redundant. I'd prefer "örülök" to "boldog vagyok" to avoid repetition, even if we wanted to be 100% accurate, happy should be "boldog". "Örülök" is "I'm glad". But it is just a very slight difference it doesn't change the meaning at all.

Although a bit different but "Örülök, hogy (végre) boldog vagy" is used a lot these days with "végre"="finally".

Additional remark: if "téged" is added it's best to put it at the end: "Örülök, hogy boldognak látlak téged". "Örülök, hogy téged boldognak látlak." sounds a bit odd to me. But again, "téged" is clearly redundant.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  5. Akitlosz Senior Member

Hungary
    Hungarian
    Boldog vagyok, hogy tégedet boldognak látlak.

You cant drop vagyok = I' m and látlak = I see you. They are not optional.
    Tégedet = you - accusative - is optional. This always strengthens the message, but longer.

Like:
    Szeretlek = I love you.
    Én szeretlek Tégedet = I - no other - love you - not else.

So:
    Strong:
    Boldog vagyok, hogy boldognak látlak.
    Stronger and longer:
    Boldog vagyok, hogy téged boldognak látlak.
    Strongest and longest:
    Boldog vagyok, hogy tégedet boldognak látlak.
    Very strongest and very longest:
    Én boldog vagyok, hogy tégedet boldognak látlak.

The personal pronouns in the Hungarian language are optional, but always free to use the personal pronouns and they are always reinforcing the message.

The lazy never say: tégedet. They think it is optional, so unnecessary. :) But the message is not as strong.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  6. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    Are you sure it's laziness? :) I wonder what others think.

7. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I definitely don't think it's the question of laziness.
    Moreover, I would think the shorter the sentence the "stronger". (= More expressive.) Alternatively, the longer (= more explicit) the sentence, the "milder" the impression it gives.
    But all this doesn't matter if you have to choose for stress or context reasons (/according to your exact message to be conveyed).

Adding "téged" may
    - be just more explicit (in a correspondance between two people, where there is no doubt about any third party interference, I would say, there is not much point in it)
    - serve to stress "you" (meaning "your happiness - and not anybody else's - is important to me" but then, there has to be some reason...)
    - indicate that it may not the same the other way round ("you don't care much about mine...") - and this could also be a candidate (even no.1!) when both personal pronouns appear in the sentence but, of course, context can modify the shades of meaning here, too.

8. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    Totally agree. What about my problem with "tégedet"?

9. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Tom, I wouldn't say either that the forms with téged/et are incorrect. The word(s) exists(exist) and with reason.
    Their use may sound superfluous (or heavy) in certain contexts but the use cannot be declared incorrect "just like that".
    ("Tégedet" could be a bit old fashioned from time to time but we shouldn't just write things off without a context - that we don't have here.:()

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  10. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    It's not "just like that". It's something that grates on my ears and I think I'm not the only one.
    Yes, it's old-fashioned. I accept hearing that from Petőfi but not in either a formal or an informal conversation or written material today maybe except poetry.
    The lack of context is just why it should be emphasized that using "tégedet" is not natural but needs a reason, especially when the OP was posted by a non-native Hungarian speaker. It would be misleading for him to claim that "tégedet" is in everyday use and that it is a perfectly natural way to translate the OP without any special context.
    Even the spell-checker keeps correcting it as I'm typing. :)

11. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    In that case, you could say the reason why you think the use of it is incorrect, the word in itself is not.
    But there is a difference - in my opinion - between "incorrect" and "doesn't sound natural anymore"...

It annoys me, too, but then my mum uses it from time to time so I cannot say I haven't heard it enough...:) But that is personal. There may be 10 other people who would swear to use it without batting an eyelid. (Unaware - happily - how many others they annoy by doing so.:D)

But I agree that it sounds oldish and we should mainly suggest forms that are standard as well as neutral in their style - unless demanded otherwise.

12. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    As Ishtar08's mother tongue is Italian, I try to illustrate some differences with ad hoc Italian examples:

Én örülök, hogy téged boldognak látlak - Io sono lieto/contento che ti vedo felice
    Örülök, hogy téged látlak boldognak - Sono lieto/contento che vedo/di vedere felice te (= appunto te)
    Örülök, hogy boldognak látlak - Sono lieto/contento di vederti felice

N.B.
    In general, if there's no special context, the third option is the most "natural"
    There's no exact equivalent for the verb örülni in Italian, so the choice of essere lieto/contento/felice ... depends on the context etc...
    The Italian equivalents serve for illustration, i.e. I don't want to suggest that they are stilistically "optimal" ...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  13. franknagy Senior Member

If you retain the accusative personal pronoun and insert one more word then the meaning of the sentence changes deeply.

"Örülök, hogy legalább téged boldognak látlak."

Legalább=at least.
    This sentence means:
    "I am glad to see at least you happy."
    The untold but clear continuation may be:
    a) because I am not happy at all,
    b) because a third person mentioned earlier is unhappy.

14. kzs New Member

Zurich, CH
    Hungarian
    Just another idea:
    "Örülök, hogy örülsz" (I'm happy that you're happy)

It may not be a literal translation, but conveys well the "playfulness" of the original.