1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I am interested to know / I am interested in knowing

Discussion in 'English Only' started by andersxman, Aug 4, 2006.

1. andersxman Senior Member

Denmark/danish
    I believe I usually say "I am interested to know" (what you have to offer, fx).

Is that incorrect? is "I am interested in knowing" better?

2. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    I think that they're both correct - the phrase using "to know" sounds more formal, to me, any way.

Or you could say "I would like to know..." (meaning that you're interested...)

3. andersxman Senior Member

Denmark/danish
    Upon further reflection, I now believe that I once very often picked up the phone, called someone and stated

"I was interested to know (...)"

- even though the person in the other end and I would be speaking right then and there and what apparantly would have been correct was "I am interested to know". I may have used the past tense due to some bad habits I have when I speak my own language, that I have then "exported" to my English...

Would it be very odd if someone said "I was interested to know (...)" about information that they needed in that moment?

4. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    Usually the past tense (was) would be used to describe something in the past.

5. DavyBCN Senior Member

Barcelona
    UK - English
    Whe you use the past tense in this way "I was interested to know" really means "I was interested to find out/hear" something, so the meaning changes. To keep the original sense in the past you would say "I knew".

In the present your should say "I am interested in knowing".

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This is the kind of thing you might feel the need to say to someone at a call centre who finally answers, several hours after you started the "if you want to give us money, press 1," sequence.

I would like to know ...
    Could you tell me ...
    I am interested in your special offer on ....

7. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    in post #3 at this thread http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1759052

Lexiphile said: "I am interested to know..." doesn't seem right, since the "am" in the present indicative makes the knowing seem all too immediate and short-term.

in post #3 at this thread http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1759052

Lexiphile said: since "knowing" isn't really a process but rather a condition, "I am interested in knowing...," doesn't sound right.

Any further comments on the above references?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  8. mosafer1 New Member

کیش
    English
    for the object we use like " i'm interested in something " . but for the verb we use " i'm interested to know" .

9. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I couldn't say, "I'm interested to know what you have to offer." I don't believe it is idiomatic in BrE. "I'd [= I would] be interested to know what you have to offer" sounds idiomatic but offhand to me. I could happily use any of panjandrum's suggestions (post 6).

10. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    The reason behind this is that "am" is the present indicative, while "what you have to offer" sounds like you are going to talk about your offer, involving a future sense. So the first part of the sentence, which is at present, is in conflict with the second part of it. A change to the tense of the second part would make the sentence work: "I'm interested to know what you have offered", doesn't it? (But the meaning has changed a little bit.)