1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I am looking forward to hearing from you

Discussion in 'English Only' started by claude23, Jan 17, 2006.

1. claude23 Senior Member

normandy
    FRANCE
    Good afternoon,

What should I say at the end of a letter of application ...I look or I am looking forward to hearing from you ?

Thank you,

Claude.

2. Le Pamplemousse

Le Pamplemousse Senior Member

USA, English
    The first one sounds a bit better to me.

3. Isotta

Isotta Senior Member

France
    English, Hodgepodge
    It's fine, though I would probably go for the cleaner "I look forward to hearing from you." Doesn't matter though.

Z.

4. virtdave Senior Member

California/Creuse
    english, USA
    I look forward to hearing from you sounds a bit better in British or American English. I am looking forward... would be more usual in a letter in Indian English, where the 'ongoing present tense' is more common.

5. la reine victoria Senior Member

Bonjour Claude,

My choice would be 'I look forward to your reply'.

But if you want to use either of the options you mention, 'I look forward to hearing from you' is better.

Salut,
    La Reine

6. blancalaw

blancalaw Senior Member

Detroit, Michigan
    USA, English
    I would say I am looking forward to hear from you. Maybe I've been saying it wrong all along.

7. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Another possibility:

I can be reached at [your phone number or email address].

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,

Claude23

8. la reine victoria Senior Member

Sorry to disagree, River. In a formal letter of application Claude should already have given his telephone number at the top of the page.

You have gone slightly off translation. Claude wants to know if 'I look forward to hearing from you' is OK. He doesn't want to say 'I look forward to speaking with you soon' - he is anticipating a letter of reply from the prospective employer.

AE/BE conflict? ;)

LRV

9. Sabelotodo Senior Member

Great Lakes Region, USA
    English, United States
    Please don't be offended, but that sounds very wrong to me--like someone just learning English.

I believe that "looking forward to" should be followed by a noun (i.e. my vacation, the meeting, our visit, etc.) or a gerund (i.e. going on vacation, meeting you, visiting Grandma, etc.)

10. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Quite right. I was thinking "cover letter." In that case, "I look forward to hearing from you soon."