I am my beloved's, my beloved is mine

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by triple7, Dec 19, 2007.

1. triple7 New Member

U.S.A. English
    Hello, thank you so much for your time. It is my wife's and my 15th wedding anniversary and I would like to write out this verse in Hebrew for her. Could you please show me this verse in Hebrew writting? I am my beloved's, my beloved is mine. It would also be helpful if you could point me in the right direction to learn how to say it. Thank you very much again.

2. בעל-חלומות Senior Member

ישראל, עברית
    Here are my suggestions and transliterations. If you want to be able to read the actual Hebrew letters, I recommend the wikipedia article on the Hebrew alephbet.​

אני שייך לאהובתי, ואהובתי שייכת לי (ani shayakh le'ahuvati, ve'ahuvati shayekhet li) - Litterally: I belong to my beloved, and my beloved belongs to me.
    or
    אני שייך לאהובתי, והיא שייכת לי (ani shayakh le'ahuvati vehi shayekhed li) - Lit.: I belong to my beloved, and she belongs to me.
    or
    אני של אהובתי, ואהובתי שלי (ani shel ahuvati, veahuvati sheli) - Lit.: I am of my beloved (my beloved's), and my beloved is of me (mine).
    or
    אני של אהובתי, והיא שלי (ani shel ahuvati, vehi sheli) - Lit.: I am of my beloved (my beloved's) and she is of me (mine)​

The third one is the most litteral, but I thonk the first two sound better.​

3. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Now that ba`al chalomot has provided a series of good answer, I think I can ask to critique my try without making much confusion. :D

How is it acceptable to make an invention upon the classic phrase "Dodi li, va-ani lo"?

דודתי לי, ואני לה.
    Dodati li, va-ani lah.

I understand dodati usually means "my aunt" in Modern Hebrew but is it also "my aunt" in a flowery locution such as this?

4. scriptum

scriptum Senior Member

Israel
    Israel / Hebrew, Russian
    The Hebrew verse is "ani le-dodi ve-dodi li". I cannot see any reason not to quote it literally.

5. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    שיר השירים 2:16 goes, "דודי לי ואני לו". From the way "dodi" is described in the whole book, I always assumed that the beloved is male. I wonder, therefore, a female form should be devised in reference to one's wife as one's beloved.

6. scriptum

scriptum Senior Member

Israel
    Israel / Hebrew, Russian
    I apologize, you are right. The text says it twice.
    2:16
    דּוֹדִי לִי וַאֲנִי לוֹ
    6:3
    אֲנִי לְדוֹדִי וְדוֹדִי לִי

The female counterpart of דודי in the text seems to be רעייתי.