I am sorry about yesterday

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by frenchboy, Nov 26, 2008.

1. frenchboy Senior Member

Hi guys,

I don't study German - I study French. But I very desperately need to know a translation for:

I am sorry about yesterday. I was being stupid. And I know what it feels like to be an exchange student with Ed. I used to be one until he told me he was gay. I am not homophobic but it was very awkward after that.

[By the way, I know it sound silly - but it's completely serious - because I have to apologise to this German guy who doesn't speak much English tomorrow - I am going to see him at a linguistics lecture at 9am already! I badly need this. This isn't a joke, I wouldn't waste my time like this...]

2. frenchboy Senior Member

Es tut mir leid, dass über gestern. Ich war dumm. Und ich weiß, was es Lust hat, ein Austauschstudent mit Ed. zu sein, pflegte ich, ein zu sein, bis er mir sagte, dass er homosexuell war. Ich bin nicht homosexualitätsfeindlich, aber das war danach sehr ungeschickt.

Does that make sense?
  3. Lykurg

Lykurg Senior Member

I tried to correct it, but there are some parts which I didn't understand in the English version (marked red): what Ed means here (a name?) and why you stopped being whatever you were ("I used to be one" = "I used to be an exchange student"?)

If you are quick now, write me a private message, if you like to.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  4. Sidjanga Senior Member

German;southern tendencies
    I, too, am not sure about the meaning of some parts of the English sentence.

In any case, for I am sorry about yesterday. I would say Das mit gestern tut mir Leid.
  5. Lykurg

Lykurg Senior Member

Sigianga, I agree that "Das mit gestern tut mir leid." is the one idiomatic version, though I used a (less favourable) alternative for stylistic reasons.