I appreciate your prompt reply.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by naie, Jan 7, 2011.

1. naie New Member

Kuala Lumpur
    Malay-English
    'I appreciate your prompt reply.'

I always see this in my email. I don't really know when I need to use it.
    :confused:

but I still used it, when someone reply me emails.
    I can't help wonder-is it a right expression in this case? (Although no one ever pointed out it is incorrect when I used it)

It's it means their appreciated with our quick reply/action?

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Welcome to the forum. :)

I would only use this type of phrase if a prompt reply is really important, not simply as a way to end every email. If you use it as a standard ending, it sounds either pushy or thoughtless.

If I did feel it were necessary, I would probably say, "I would appreciate hearing from you soon. It's important that I blah-blah-blah (reason for the speed)." Otherwise, it's just a rubber-stamped ending that begins to lose its meaning.

What do you think of my answer? I appreciate your prompt reply.

(See how annoying that is?) :D

3. I agree with Copyright. "I appreciate your prompt reply" is pushy and also a bit presumptuous. The recipient of the e-mail might think "who is naie to insist on a prompt reply?" Alternatively, it could be taken to mean that you think you won't get a prompt reply unless you ask for one, which is insulting. So ... better to explain the circumstances when you really need a quick answer, as Copyright suggests, and use a simple, friendly closing for other e-mails.

4. naie New Member

Kuala Lumpur
    Malay-English
    Thank you for your warm welcome. :)
    and it's a wow brilliant answer copyright. :D

Oh, ya..I forgot to mention that I got this phrase when I already reply the answers/solution to the recipient of the e-mail. Which means, he replied me like this -> 'I appreciate your prompt reply! Take care.' <-

5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Ah, that makes a difference, naie:).

Yes, it's perfectly fine, and not at all presumptuous, after the event, as a way of saying "thank you" for the speedy answer someone has given.

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If someone tells you that they appreciate the prompt reply you sent them, then it's great. It's a long thank-you. :)

7. naie New Member

Kuala Lumpur
    Malay-English
    Thanks guys. It's really helpful. :)

Copyright, Loob and a little edgy.
    I appreciate your prompt reply. :D :D