1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I can’t live with this anguish

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Kraus, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    Hi dear friends!

Could you please tell me whether “я не могу жить в этой тревоге” is a correct translation of “I can’t live with this anguish” (Italian “Non posso vivere con questa angoscia”)?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    How about:
    I can't live in this anxiety.

I think anguish is something much stronger than тревогa, but let's wait for some native opinions. :)

Tom

3. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I'd rather say тоска, мучения - depending on the context.

4. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Hi there, Kraus!
    Could you please specify, if you're looking for the english translation of the phraseя не могу жить в этой тревоге or if you would like us to translate the english phrase I can't live with this anguish into russian?
    Because it seems Thomas and Maroseika have given you completely different replies, each assuming their own! ;)

Either way, I would just like to say that the problem with ''тревога'' is that it's not a very suitable word for this conext, despite the fact that it is the first translation in the dictionary to the word 'anguish'.
    The problem is that ''тревога'' is usually used in the sense of ''Alarm'' or ''alert''.
    Like in the phrase: бить тревогу = to sound the alarm
    пожарная тревога = fire alarm

So you can see how it's not very suitable here. I rather agree with Maroseika's suggestion, if you're looking to translate the english into russian: Я не могу жить с этой болью/мукой/тоской/ с этим мучением.

Hope it helps! :)
    P.S. Wow... it never ceases to amaze me how close Italian and Spanish seem to be! You can almost see the phrase ''No puedo vivir con esta angustia'' show through it's Italian equivalent. :)

5. Kolan Senior Member

Montréal (Québec)
    Russian (CCCP)
    Опираясь на французский эквивалент (angoisse), я бы сказал "... в этом страхе". Но кто ж мне поверит?

6. Q-cumber

Q-cumber Senior Member

A bit on the side
    Russia/Russian
    Perhaps "Я не могу (больше) выносить <терпеть> эти муки (мучения) <эту тоску>" (more context would help).

Господа, <can't> "live with" в данном случае переводится на русский скорее как "терпеть, выносить, переносить, быть в состоянии принять что-то и т.п." <tolerate>...а не "жить с". ;)

7. palomnik Senior Member

Vietnam
    English
    I agree with Q on the use of терпеть here. And "anguish" is a relatively poetic term in English, a bit too precious to be translated by тревога.

But that raises the question of the context again. Are you trying to sound poetic, Kraus? Or just exasperated?

8. Q-cumber

Q-cumber Senior Member

A bit on the side
    Russia/Russian
    I haven't understood well from the Kraus's message whether the original phrase was in English or it was Italian?

Here is a painting called "Angoscia”. Looks sorta...hmmm...подавляюще.

Another one. I'd call it "тоска зелёная". :)

9. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    Thank you everybody for your help! :) Actually, the original phrase was in Italian, and it's clear I've translated badly the word "Angoscia" into both Russian and English...

10. Q-cumber

Q-cumber Senior Member

A bit on the side
    Russia/Russian
    Kraus

Could you try to interpret the meaning of the word again?

11. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    Unfortunately the sentence is without context, but I could translate "angoscia" with "grief, distress".

12. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Dear Kraus,

Thinking about it, I would seriously suggest that you translate ''angoscia'' (and it's twin sisters : mademoiselle Angoisse and señorita Angustia :p) as тоска.

I think тоска is a lovely word and is the most suitable one here. Actually, I tried to look it up recently in a russian-english dictionary, and it gave me ''sadness, anguish'', but I didn't like ''sadness'' because that's more like ''грусть'' to me, and тоска is slightly different...

Anyway! :p The point of all my rambling is that I think that in you context, the way one to go for would be:
    Я (больше )не могу жить с этой тоской.
    :)

13. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Would в этой тоске work here? If so which one sounds better to your ears?

Tom

14. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Hi, Tom!

You're totally right: в этой тоске is perfectly appropriate here. And in fact, now that I think of it - your suggestion is definately better, because... Is it just me, or does anyone else get the strange feeling that ''жить с этой тоской'' is almost like living with someone (or something, admitedly) under one roof: cohabiting. In truth, both work equally well in Russian - either way you wouldn't be misunderstood. But I think I would go for ''в этой тоске''! :)
    Thanks for the suggestion!

15. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    Thank you again dear friends! :)