1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I can connect you <if you like/if you'd like> [phone etiquette]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by barbara255115, Dec 13, 2013.

1. barbara255115 Junior Member

Mandarin
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]1) I can connect you to her voice mail if you'd like
    2) [/FONT]I can direct you to her voice mail if you'd like
    3)
    I can connect you to her voice mail if you like
    4)
    I can direct you to her voice mail if you like

I would like to know which one of the above is the most professional or native.

Any help appreciated,

Barbara

2. DonnyB

DonnyB Senior Member

Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I think "if you'd like" is marginally more polite than "if you like". However, assuming this is the operator speaking, I'd say "I can try her voicemail..." because at this point the operator doesn't know whether he/she actually can connect the call successfully.

3. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    There are really two questions here, with your options including all four possible combinations:

1. Connect or direct? I prefer connect, because that's what you will do. Direct sounds as if you will give the caller instructions about how to reach her voice mail. However, I would not be surprised to hear direct, I would understand it without difficulty, and I would not think poorly of the speaker's knowledge of English if I heard it.

2. You or you'd? Here, you'd is correct and you is an error. However, it's a common error in informal speech. Most people would not even notice which of these you said.

So, I would suggest "I can connect you to her voice mail if you'd like,"your option 1, but it really doesn't make a lot of difference.

4. barbara255115 Junior Member

Mandarin
    Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!

5. steelydanzig

steelydanzig New Member

Eugene, Oregon, USA
    English - USA - West Coast
    1) "I can connect you to her voice mail, if you'd like." (pause after 'mail')....That is how I would say it....;)

6. roxcyn

roxcyn Senior Member

USA
    American English [AmE]
    "I can foward/send you to her voice mail, if you'd like." are the phrases that I hear all the time. "Connect" works, too.

7. steelydanzig

steelydanzig New Member

Eugene, Oregon, USA
    English - USA - West Coast
    I agree with roxcyn . Also, I forgot to clarify that "you'd" is a contraction of "you would".... which is better than just "you", in my opinion... :thumbsup: