I dare not wait upon I would, like the poor cat in the adage.

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by giorgi78, Sep 28, 2007.

1. giorgi78 Senior Member

Italy
    From "Modern History Sourcebook: Pierce Bysshe Shelley: Defence of Poetry, 1819".
    We have more moral, political, and historical wisdom than we know how to reduce into practice; we have more scientific and economical knowledge than can be accommodated to the just distribution of the produce which it multiplies. The poetry in these systems of thought is concealed by the accumulation of facts and calculating processes. There is no want of knowledge respecting what is wisest and best in morals, government, and political economy, or at least, what is wiser and better than what men now practise and endure. But we let "I dare not wait upon I would, like the poor cat in the adage." We want the creative faculty to imagine that which we know; we want the generous impulse to act that which we imagine; we want the poetry of life; our calculations have outrun conception; we have eaten more than we can digest.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    E la tua domanda sarebbe?

3. giorgi78 Senior Member

Italy
    Non riesco a cogliere il significato di questa espressione.
    La domanda è : che cosa significa "I dare not wait upon I would, like the poor cat in the adage. "

4. culassamelassa New Member

italy, Italian
    Forse:

Ho il coraggio di non aspettare quanto dovrei come il povero gatto del proverbio.

(Nel nostro caso, in Italia, e' una gatta che per la fretta ha fatto i gattini ciechi).

5. EugeniaTodd New Member

Tuscany
    Italiana
    In realtà sta citando Shakespeare, Atto 1 - Scena 7 di Macbeth. Il proverbio a cui si riferisce dovrebbe parlare di un gatto che pur volendo mangiare un pesce, ci rinuncia per non bagnarsi le zampe.

6. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    The problem here is the first sentence, but inverted commas may help: Letting 'I dare not' wait upon 'I would'. → Lasciare che il 'non oso / non ne ho il coraggio' accompagni il 'vorrei', come [fece] il povero gatto, etc."