I didn't get you

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by diderot77, Sep 10, 2008.

1. diderot77 New Member

Italian
    Hi all,
    how can I translate "I didn't get you" in Italian?
    And how it is used "I didn't get..." usually?

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  2. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    Hi and welcome,
    One of the rules of the forum is that you have to give us some context or we won't be able to suggest a sensible translation. The sentence you have posted could have more than one meaning. Can you say in what context you heard it?
    Ciao:)

3. diderot77 New Member

Italian
    Yes, when I spoke with an Indian I said something that I think he doesn't understand... and he said "I didn't get you".
    I tried to search a translation but I didn't find it.
    Then, I suppose that I misunderstand something.

4. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    Okay, I expect he wanted to say "I didn't get what you said", or "I didn't get that" (that = quello che tu hai appena detto) which means either "I didn't understand you" or "I didn't hear you properly".

"I didn't get you" da solo non ha, secondo me, un vero significato, ma se la persona con cui parlavi non era un madrelingua, è possibile che ha fatto un piccolo errore.
    :)

5. neuromatico

neuromatico Senior Member

Toronto
    English (Canadian)
    Hi diderot77,

I think you got it! :) He was saying,"I didn't get (the meaning of what) you (said)".

Murphy,
    "I didn't get you" is a commonly used AE expression.

6. Salentsail New Member

italian
    La traduzione divrebbe quindi essere " Non ho ben compreso quello che hai appena detto".
    Semplice riassunto. Aspetta conferma dai seniors.
    Ciao

7. BlackEagle Junior Member

Palermo
    Italian
    "I didn't get you" si può tradurre tranquillamente e semplicemente con "Non ti ho capito"... o anche al presente "Non ti capisco"

oppure si può rendere la frase un poco più sofisticata traducendo con

"Non ho capito che vuoi dire" o "...che cosa vuoi dire" o "... di che stai parlando"

By the way, ...

non esiste una traduzione standard in italiano per "I didn't get..." precisamente perché "get" può significare un miliardo di cose in inglese e ogni volta richiede una traduzione ad hoc in italiano.

8. SuperGaara Senior Member

Venezia (Italy)
    Italian
    Hi neuromatico,

I have a doubt. I know that "I haven't got" often means "I don't have", so my question is the following: if I said "I haven't got you", would you understand that I meant "I didn't get you"? Or is it totally wrong?

9. BlackEagle Junior Member

Palermo
    Italian
    I think that, in order to resemble "I didn't get you", it should be "I haven't gotten you". However, I don't think people would say that...

As far as I can tell, "I haven't got (a pencil...)" is only allowed when you are talking about something you possess. Otherwise, the correct form is “I don’t have (a clue… about the ultimate grammar rule behind all this…)”

Of course, this is not about "I didn't get you"... I was just focusing on the correct way to use "I haven't got(ten)..." and "I don't have..."

10. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I didn't get is just the past of "to get (someone)" which means "to understand someone"..

I don't get you - (I don't understand you) - Non ti capisco
    I didn't get you - (I didn't understand you) - Non ti ho capito

BlackEagle, this is straying from what the post is about, it's better not to confuse issues especially such tricky ones for foreigners.

11. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    The meaning of "get" here is something like "afferrare" (il senso).

I didn't get you is heard in GB too.

12. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Actually yeah it is more "grasp" than "understand (hear)".

13. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Yes, I use it, I must admit! :eek:;) It think it's AE, however....

You and Alex are right about "grasp" (or "catch"), it must be something along the lines of "non ho afferrato (quello che hai detto)" .

14. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I also do, I don't think it's AE, or at least it's not anymore.
    But "catch" I sadly disagree with for the first time ever...

"To catch what someone has said", means to hear it, like if they are walking out of a room and you don't quite "catch" what they say, wheras this I believe is about understanding every word, but not "getting" what it means, not grasping the sense of what they meant.

15. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    "I didn't catch that" could mean "I don't understand", but sometimes it means "I didn't hear you".
    It's all contextual.

16. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Not in the way we use it over here, of course it's possible, because anyone might say anything, but to be on the safe side, I'm happy saying that using "I didn't catch that" to mean "not understand", sounds extremely odd (to me).

17. Murphy

Murphy Senior Member

Sicily, Italy
    English, UK
    I would definitely use this expression in the present tense to say "I don't understand you at all", ie not that I don't understand what you're saying, but that I don't understand your way of thinking/behaving etc.

I just don't get you. You're weird!

It still sounds strange to me in the past tense, but then "a ciascuno il suo...":D

18. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Actually, I agree with both you and Tim, in the sense that I would normally use it to mean I didn't quite hear what you said, but in a particular context I could take it to mean I don't understand what you're saying to me.

19. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Yes I "get" what you're saying London Calling:p, and I also understand your "particular" context, but given the question and the broadness of one type of usage (not the particular) that's why I wanted to say broadly that it means one type more than the other and that is what we should be discussing to avoid utter confusion to the poster.

If I posted a question about an Italian expression that meant 98% one thing though could be used slightly differently in 2% of times, I wouldn't want to know about the 2% till I understood the main thing first.

20. diderot77 New Member

Italian

Thanks to "p"aul from "i"taly for corrections. ;)

21. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH

22. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    But surely the poster of the question has priority?
    I think we're being a tad too philosophical here though, but I have "got" your point:p

23. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I've got your point as well!:p:D Hopefully diderot got it as well!;) That would be a sure sign of failure, if he didn't get you!:D

24. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Well I got what you meant, that you got me, but I'm not sure if anyone will get this message, but I hope you get it, if you don't get it, get in touch with me and I will get you an explanation. It would get me worried if didergot did not get it as well, it would be a failure if he didn't get me, I'd have to get myself some lessons in explaining how to get used to the word "get".

25. BlackEagle Junior Member

Palermo
    Italian
    This is not gonna get any better, I'm afraid. And I'm getting tired. So, this is what I'm gonna do. I'll get my car, I'll get a movie, and I might even get some more work done before getting to bed. Don't get me wrong! This was fun. Gotta go now!

26. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    You gotta go get what? *rofl*