1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I don´t want to risk myself too much.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Reborn34, May 15, 2010.

1. Reborn34 Junior Member

Portuguese
    Hello everyone,

Are the sentences below corrrect and commonly used by English native speakers?If not,what can be used?

1.I don´t want to risk myself too much.
    2.I know I risked myself a little,but it was necessary.
    3.You´ve been risking yourself a lot.
    4.I didn´t risk myself much.

Thank you for the excellent work!

Regards,

2. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I can't think of a context in English where "risked" is a reflexive verb. In my opinion, all of them are not used at all by native speakers. If you drop "myself" out of all of them, they all sound natural and common.

I'm not sure what you are intending to communicate by "risked myself/yourself". We usually talk about something specific that is at risk: health, future, bankruptcy, relationship, position, career.

3. Greetd

Greetd Junior Member

Flanders, Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    I'm not a native speaker, but I'm almost certain that that's incorrect. I would suggest alternatives based on the context, for example someone could be risking his life, his dignity, his job, ...
    (Do correct me if I'm wrong of course.) :)

4. Reborn34 Junior Member

Portuguese
    Hello,

I´ll rewrite the sentences without the reflexives.

1.I don´t want to risk too much.(=I don´t want to do too much of something that might cause me problems.)
    2.I know I risked a little,but it was necessary.(=I did a little of something that might cause me problems.)
    3.You´ve been risking a lot.(=You´re doing a lot of something that might cause you problems.)
    4.I didn´t risk much.(=I didn´t do much of something that might cause me problems.)

*"Risk" was intended to mean "taking risks in general,doing something that might cause a problem,often to the person mentioned,in this case: "I".

==>Are the senteces correct and natural now?

Thank youin advance!

5. Greetd

Greetd Junior Member

Flanders, Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    If you're talking about taking risks in general, I would advise:

1. I don't want to take too much risks.
    2. I know I took some risks, but it was necessary.
    3. You've been taking a lot of risks.
    4. I didn't take much risks.

If you talk about risking a lot or a little, it sounds like you are risking things, not your own safety/wellbeing.