I don't agree on the decisions taken by the government

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Clex Sipsoxard, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Clex Sipsoxard

Clex Sipsoxard Junior Member

Hello.

I was about to write something like "I don't agree with the government on their taken decisions" in a forum thread, but in a different order:

"I don't agree on the decisions taken by the government". I'm not sure if this sounds odd or something, could anyone tell me if it sounds natural?

Thanks!

2. dadane Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (London/Essex)
    It's not odd at all. The question is: who don't you agree with, the government itself, or another person you are discussing government policy with?

3. Clex Sipsoxard

Mmm... I don't agree with the government, since those decisions are taken by them. It's like if I were implicitly saying "I don't agree with them" by saying "by the government"

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    As an added curmudgeonly note:

You have removed specificity from the sentence. In the original, we know with whom you have a disagreement. In your rewrite, we do not.

5. dadane Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (London/Essex)
    Imagine we were having a discussion about government policy, I disagree with the policy, you agree with it. You could say to me "I don't agree on the decisions taken by the government". In this context it would mean "I don't agree with you on the subject of decisions taken by the government".

Because of this ambiguity, I would stick with 'with' ("I don't agree with the decisions taken by the government") because your meaning is clear.

Edit. Cross-posted with sdg

6. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    >> I would stick with 'with' ("I don't agree with the decisions taken by the government")

Me too.

7. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    We'd say: I don't agree with the decisions made by the government. (We don't "take" decisions; we make them.)

Or, in our more direct AE way: I don't agree with the government's decisions.

8. Clex Sipsoxard

I see, I didn't know I could use "with" for the discussed topic/point. Thanks.

9. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English