i don't know how to say " Co..., to.."

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by mardy00, Dec 17, 2012.

1. mardy00 New Member

polish
    If I know how to call this type of sentence I could write it in google, but I can't find anything.
    So I don't know how to say for example:
    "Co brudne, to zaniedbane" or... hmm " co blond, to ...." or " kto głupi, ten niedojrzały"
    is it just " What's dirty that's neglected" or if I want to tell about people " Who's blond is..." or " who's blond that is.." ??
    Please help me or maybe tell me what sort of sentence it is and I will find it somewhere.

Greets

2. R.O

R.O Senior Member

Polish
    What do you mean exactly what sort of sentence it is? Do you mean like a proverb or saying or something?

3. mardy00 New Member

polish
    maybe it's a proverb, I don't know what part of speech it is. I just don't know how to say it "co...,to...."

4. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Do you mean something like: Once a Yankee, always a Yankee? It is a saying. In your first example it can be some kind of comparison as well.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. BezierCurve Senior Member

I think a simple "is" is a universal answer to your question, as in "X is Y". I can't think of any corresponding fixed structure that would fit all your examples.

6. mardy00 New Member

polish
    hmm yes , I think it's comparison, so how can I say it ? "What's..,that's.."?
    I know how to explain the rest of my question :
    Is in English any phrase I can say e.g. " I love everything what is red" but inversely ?? "Everything what's red...I (love)" or "What's red, that I love"?? I think it's wrong, can I say in general something like this in English? "What's red is my love"?

Sorry, I don't know how to explain.

7. NotNow Senior Member

English
    I love everything that is red is the correct way to say it.
    Everything that is red, I love sounds awkward, but maybe a poet might say it. Most people would say something like, If it's red, I love it.

I hope this helps.

8. mardy00 New Member

polish
    Yes! Thank you very much !

9. R.O

R.O Senior Member

Polish
    Red is what I love ​would also work.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  10. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Hi. Mardy. I agree with Bezier. It can be translated many different ways. You have to translate one phrase at a time. A similar construction would be: "Slippery when wet" and phrases like that. Some of them fall also into the category of eclipses, in addition to being comparisons. (maybe eclliptic comparisons) As to you example: I would reverse the sentence. "I love whatever is red; I love all that is red; I love anything red; if it is red, I love it".

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  11. NotNow Senior Member

English