1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I don't like too much this idea / this idea too much

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by ENGLISH NEVER ENDS, Jun 17, 2013.

1. ENGLISH NEVER ENDS New Member

Benidorm
    Spanish
    Please , I need to know if saying "I don't like too much this idea" instead "I don´t like this idea too much" is a terrible mistake for an exam.
    Thank you

2. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    For me, as a teacher, it is.
    When I'm not a teacher, I tend to forgive things like this.

Welcome.

3. ENGLISH NEVER ENDS New Member

Benidorm
    Spanish
    Thanks Agró for your quick answer.I would like to know your opinion as a teacher : Do you think I could fail an exam because of this mistake? I have worked so hard!!! But it was an oral exam and I just didn't realize.
    Thank you very much.

4. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    That depends on which level you are preparing, or should I say you have prepared? I think I wouldn't admit it for a B2 or higher, maybe I would for a B1.

5. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Welcome to the forum, English Never Ends.

Your sentence has two problems:

1. Too is being used as a loose substitute for very, which sometimes works in informal conversation, but not on an exam.
    2. The adverbial separates a transitive verb from its direct object, and this sounds unnatural and foreign.

Here are two places the adverbial could naturally fit:

I don't much like this idea.
    I don't like this idea (very) much.

6. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Maybe I'm a benevolent teacher, or maybe I'm just so used to hearing that type of mistake that it no longer jars me terribly. I'm not an examiner, but I do think that you could get away with it in an oral exam of a lower-intermediate level, even if it would be an obvious mistake in writing.
    Although the overuse of "too much" occurs in English in the same way as happens with "demasiado" in Spanish, I'd be more likely to take objection to your using "too much" instead of "much/very much".
    (EDIT: I was slow in writing, but I'm glad to see that Forero agrees about "too much". I wondered if I was nitpicking!)

7. ENGLISH NEVER ENDS New Member

Benidorm
    Spanish
    Thanks everyone for your answers. I have just finished my English exams after almost one year of hard work in the Official Language School of Benidorm.I will know the results in a few days.But I couldn't stop thinking about this mistake. I'm glad to have met you. I believe that this forum is going to be really useful for me whether I pass the exam or not.

8. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Glad to meet you too, and sorry I forgot to say welcome. I hope you'll let us know the results of your exam. Good luck :)

9. ENGLISH NEVER ENDS New Member

Benidorm
    Spanish
    Hi everyone
    Strange as it may seem, I have passed!!! I suppose that the teachers were benevolent and they took into account not only THAT MISTAKE (and others) but also the parts of the exam without mistakes. Nevertheless, I know that I have to continue studying English to improve my level and to avoid forgetting what I have learned. You know, English never ends......:)
    See you around.

10. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    I was going to say that as a Cambridge FCE oral examiner, I wouldn't have failed you for that mistake or any other isolated one. We take into account a candidate's performance as a whole during the exam. Congratulations and good luck for the next one!

11. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Thanks for letting us know, and keep up the good work ;). Hope to see you on the forum again.

12. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    :)As you can see, you'll find pretty nice people around here...

13. ENGLISH NEVER ENDS New Member

Benidorm
    Spanish
    Yes, it's really nice to belong to a forum like this. And it's also very very useful. I Know that I'm going to learn a lot from all of you.Thanks for your words