I feel less than a stake in this world... I'm at my weakest

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by ronca, Apr 15, 2005.

1. ronca New Member

Italy Italian
    Hi everebody!

Anyone could help me with this to sentences to translate in Italian?

Looking on a dictionary for "stake" I can't find anything suitable to translate "I feel less than a stake in this world", I think it is something similar to "I feel I'm worthless", I thought it could be something like "mi sembra di essere solo un fanalino di coda" [you know the rear lights in a car, meaning you come after anybody else] or "contare meno di una semplice pedina [the minor piece in chess]. It could be something like that???

To be at the weakest? Essere deboli? Avere un punto debole?

Thanks in advance for your help
  2. ikester Senior Member

Naples, Italy
    US - American English
    It will be tough to translate because it makes absolutely no sense in English. No definition of stake fits this context.

If you Google the phrase "less than a stake", none of the results have this meaning... what you'll find are things like, "Nothing less than a stake through the heart will kill a vampire."

The only thing I can think of in English that's even close is, "I feel lower than a snake."

3. Cathy-Anne Senior Member

I think the only correct version of this sentence would be " I don't feel I have a stake in this world", meaning I feel I am of little importance and don't feel that I am taking part in the world around me..

4. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

I agree.. maybe "I feel less than a stake in this world" could be translated as "sento di valere poco in questo mondo"...
    maybe something before and after that sentence would help us understand the real meaning

In Italy we say "mi sento al palo" meaning that I'm motionless, I'm not making any progress at all. Maybe it has something to do with that.

moreover, the title also reads: "I'm at my weakest...." and it seems to go on ....
  5. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Ce l'ho, ce l'ho! :D

Sento di valere meno di un'acca ;)

Credo che la nostra espressione idiomatica regga il confronto ;)
  6. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

si, sembrerebbe di si... ce l'avevi ;)

magari possiamo tenerne conto per il DB delle frasi idiomatiche ;)
  7. skjc Senior Member

england, english
    It could have at least two meanings and the ones that come to mind are:

1. stake - a stake in the ground, which is a fixed post. I don't have a stake in the world - meaning nowhere that I am fixed to (maybe?)
    2. stake - an amount of money that you can use to gamble. I have less than a stake - meaning you don't have any starting money.

I agree that "I feel lower than a snake" is correct.
  8. ronca New Member

Italy Italian
    Thank you everybody!!!! E specialmente grazie a Silvia! Valere meno di un'acca (o anche meno di zero) is the one that fits better in "my" context!