I find/I found (it interesting)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by BorisDtt, May 27, 2009.

1. BorisDtt Junior Member

Cantonese
    What is the difference between "I find it interesting" and "I found it interesting"?

If I have noticed it, and I still think it is interesting. which one should I use in daily conversation?

Also,
    If I have lost my key, and later on I know where it is, should I say I find it, or should I say I found it?

2. Michel09

Michel09 Senior Member

New York, NY
    français - France
    Both questions/examples are present tense versus past tense.

For example, I find it interesting means that you currently find something interestering. I found it interesting means that, in the past, you found something interesting. It applies also with the key example.

3. BorisDtt Junior Member

Cantonese
    Thanks for your reply.:)

However, my question is whether the sentense "I find it interesting" describes a status rather than an action.

If I say: "I found it interesting", does it imply that "I think it was interesting sometime, but now i don't think so. "?

If I say: "I find the key", I must have obtained the key before saying it, so why dont we use past tense?

4. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English

5. BorisDtt Junior Member

Cantonese
    :thumbsup: Thanks!

6. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    At the end of the day, I ask somebody who had his first day of the job in the office:

What would you say:

"Did you find the work interesting" or "Do you find the work interesting"? (Assume he is coming tomorrow.)

7. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    "I find it interesting" = It is interesting me.
    and
    "I found it interesting" = It interested me at the time. (You now need context to say whether or not you find it interesting now.)

8. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    There are two contexts here to which I would like to ask question by using “Did / Do you find it interesting”, which tense would you use?

1. How would you ask your child about his/her new job after the first day?
    2. How would you ask your new colleague about the job during the second day? Or after the second day?

9. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    1. My child has returned home; I could ask either question.
    2. "Do you find it interesting”