1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I hate it when...

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by trigel, Dec 7, 2012.

1. trigel Senior Member

English - US, Korean
    Sorry for bothering you on Shabbat, but please hear me out:

What’s the normative way to say “I like/hate it when/whenever [clause]”? I have a feeling it can’t be “ani ohev/sone (et ze) kshe…”. What normative construction captures the meaning that whenever it happens, I hate every occurrence in general and does not imply that the hated event is definitely happening/has happened/will happen? Or is this distinction non-existent in correct Hebrew?

In other words, "I hate it when I have to stay overtime" as distinct from "I hate that I have to stay overtime"?

Some languages express this by saying literally "I like times when [clause]". Is it similar to this or some other way?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    It is exactly as you thought it cant be.

3. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    These are good:

אני שונא שיורד גשם
    אני שונא שקר בחורף

The "whenever" is lost here and yet clear by the context. Making it כשיורד, כשקר is alright (would be perfectly and naturally understood), but maybe formally incorrect (I am not sure).

4. yoko - chan New Member

Hebrew
    it's actually OK in both ways

5. C_J Junior Member

He
    I also think that both can be used. "את זה" is usually unnecessary, as it is implied by the verb.

They have a slight semantic difference IMO, correct me if I'm wrong:
    אני שונא שיורד גשם = I hate that it rains (implies that something is factual, and has occured before/now)
    אני שונא כשיורד גשם = I hate it when it rains (implies that it's more hypothetical, not necessarily has occured before/now)
    Hence,
    אני שונא שאני חייב להשאר שעות נוספות/אני שונא שחייבים להשאר שעות נוספות = I hate that I/one must stay overtime (implies that this happens to me/one).
    אני שונא כשאני חייב להשאר שעות נוספות/אני שונא כשחייבים להשאר שעות נוספות = I hate it when I/one must stay overtime (implies that it could happen to me/one).