I hate people drop - dropping litter

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Novich, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Novich Senior Member

Castellano, Argentina
    -What I really hate is people dropping litter in the street / when people drop litter in the street / that people drop litter in the street.

Which is correct?

2. grahamcracker Senior Member

English-TEXAS
    I really hate it when people drop litter in the street.

3. Novich Senior Member

Castellano, Argentina
    The first sentence says that, but I have to make another which means the same beginning with "what" .

4. grahamcracker Senior Member

English-TEXAS
    Something like this?

What I really hate is when people drop litter in the street.

5. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

As far as I'm concerned, your 3 options are correct. My personal preference goes to 1) and 2), but in my opinion, 3 is also correct.

6. Orejitas

Orejitas Senior Member

Washington, D.C.
    English (US)
    I would use "litter" as the verb: What I really hate is people who litter/people littering

7. Thomas Veil Senior Member

English - USA
    I would go with the second one. The first one is ambiguous as to whether you hate the people or the littering (although quite possibly both are the case). That is, the first could mean "Odio dejar caer basura gente" or "Odio gente dejando caer basura" (the third means "Odio que gente deja caer basura"). Keep in mind that in English, both gerunds (which are expressed by the infinitive in Spanish) and the present participle are expressed with the same words. This is a case where someone knowing Spanish makes it easier to talk about English; if you ask most English speakers "Did you intend 'littering' as a gerund or participle?", they won't know what you're talking about, but if they understand Spanish, you can ask "Do you mean 'Odio dejar caer basura gente' or 'Odio gente dejando caer basura'?".

8. James2000 Senior Member

English - South Africa
    :thumbsup: All three look fine to me too.

9. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    I think so, too.