1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I have 10 large flats and 70 tenants ... about 15 Froggies .

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Phil Hippe, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Phil Hippe New Member

Am I right understanding that this person has 10 large apartments which he rents to a total of 70 persons and that 15 of them are French?
    I have a doubt about the froggies.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Phil Hippe

2. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    I have no idea.

Where did you read this? Is this everything? Is there more to it?

You need to give context and background for every question you post.

3. Phil Hippe New Member

Thanks for teh quick response.
    I am actaully looking for an appartment to rent for my daughter and 2 friends who are going to have an internship for a period of 2 months.
    THe whole phrase formteh person who has apartments for rent is:
    "I have 10 large flats and 70 tenants ... about 15 Froggies .... I can introduce your daughter to other students on facebook if she likes. Tell her to email me".

4. bluegiraffe

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    It sounds like he's saying that 15 of the 70 tenants are French. 70 tenents to 10 flats, no matter how large, is a lot!

5. Delphi Junior Member

Spanish + Basque
    yeah, Frog is a (not very nice) way to call the French

6. Phil Hippe New Member

I agree on teh number of tenents for 10 flats...
    Thanks for your kind help.

7. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Isn't that the number of tenants in 9 flats? One of the 10 flats is empty (I hope) if he's offering it to your daughter and her two friends!

8. bluegiraffe

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    It's not necessarily an insult. It can also be used in an affectionate way about friends.

9. Phil Hippe New Member

I think the guy has 10 apartments with an average of 7 persons per apartment.
    I know that Froggy is a bit slang and can sometimes be somewhat not very nice. In this case, this is a person from the United Arab Emirates. I hope that there was no rough intent in using the word.
    Thanks to all for teh feedbacks.

10. Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    Presumably the landlord is English and is not a personal friend of Phil. I agree somewhat about good friends teasing each other using derogatory terms.But if I have occasion to call French people frogs I am not feeling at all friendly. Softening the insult by using a diminutive sufffix 'y' to give 'little frogs ' just makes it worse, in my opinion. I guess it's considerate of the fellow to capitalise the word.

:)
    Hermie

11. bluegiraffe

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    No, I'd say it sounds like he's offering them space in his flats and not even necessarily all in the same flat. A lot of the landlords on my street do the same thing with workers from overseas, mainly Polish and Czech, cramming them into the houses with no regard for them.

12. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Ah, okay. It's more of a "staying in a hostel" arrangement than what USans would think of as "renting an apartment".

13. bluegiraffe

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    Sort of. You still have to pay rent by the month and a deposit, there's a shared kitchen and bathroom but loads of you to one bedroom!