1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

I have asked a quy a lot of times to talk slowly (perfective and imperfective verbs)

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Russinska, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Russinska New Member

Dutch
    Hello,

While I was doing my homework, I constructed this sentence:

Я всегда спрашивала его или можно говорить медленно и наконец после одного года он сказал медленно

Just to train grammar. I would like to know how Russians would change this sentence... if they would use different aspects and how about the chronology of the sentence?

I would like to say that I have asked a quy a lot of times to talk slowly. It took one whole year and finally he listened. I know it's a weird sentense. But I could learn from it.

2. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Я всегда просила его говорить медленнее, и наконец, через год, он стал говорить медленнее.

Instead of всегда, you can use много раз.
    Instead of стал говорить медленнее, you can use послушался.

3. Russinska New Member

Dutch
    And why is it better to use спросила instead of the other? I thought that in sentences with always you always use спрашивала?

4. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Спрашивать/спросить - to ask (ask a question).

Просить/попросить - to ask (request).

5. Russinska New Member

Dutch
    Well thank you, I see now that you used an impervative aspect. I didn't know that verb.

6. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Yeah, keep that in mind, it's a typical error foreigners make - mixing up the perfective and the imperfective aspect. Good luck :) And the sentence you asked about is not weird at all :)

7. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    If you want to go a bit advanced, there is also "спросить" in the sense of "попросить".

спросил себе пива и сел в уголок, возле мужичка в изорванной свите" (Тургенев).

8. Awwal12 Senior Member

Moscow, the RF
    Russian
    The verb "спросить" is hardly used nowadays in that meaning, I believe.

9. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    I agree with Awwal12.

10. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    Well, I will agree it is not the most popular usage nowadays. Personally, I use it. I find it charming.

But, notice, I said "go advanced". Meaning, that there is such usage, however rare, and it is not your "Клёвый вечер делать неча" - it's quite literary albeit a bit archaic. And, since it was not listed, I thought I'd add it for the asking party's info.

Another example is from Saltykow-Schedrin, "The history of a town".

"Один озабоченный градоначальник, вошед в кофейную, спросил себе рюмку водки и, получив желаемое вместе с медною монетою, в сдачу, монету проглотил."

11. Awwal12 Senior Member

Moscow, the RF
    Russian
    Not mine, thanks.
    Well, we can go advanced very far, since almost any word in basic vocabulary has a wide set of meanings and uses. I just doubt that Russinska needs that by now, and furthermore - an overdose of information may be harmful for a beginner. ;)