I have been going to move to London for 2 years.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by slovac, Jan 26, 2013.

1. slovac Senior Member

Could I ask, I would like to express that I want to move to London(planning). I've wanted it for 2 years, still I want it but I haven't done it yet, because I am slow in doing important decisions. Could I express it as follows:
    I have been going to move to London for 2 years. (going to in sense of planning future)Thank you
  2. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    It's a little awkward to phrase it that way. You could say, "I've been planning to move to London...".
  3. slovac Senior Member

Thank you. I'd thought going to=planning.
  4. velisarius Senior Member

British English (Sussex)
    You could use it humorously: "I have been "going to" move to London for the past two years". This would be self-mocking, because "I'm going to" cannot usually be used for an intention that has such a long duration". You would normally say " I was going to move to London last year but I changed my mind". The intention was at a certain time in the past; not for a duration.
  5. london calling Senior Member

Agree with Veli. Your sentence to me would mean something like this: "Over the last couple of years it has been my intention to move to London, but I haven't done it yet, silly me.":)