I have had the chance to...

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by BalletBabe, Nov 15, 2008.

1. BalletBabe Junior Member

English - NZ
    CONTEXT: staying in france on exchange....

how do i say "i have just spent 5 weeks in france where i have had the chance - it is still happening" or "i have just spent 5 weeks in france where i am having the chance - it is still happening"

here goes "Je viens de passer cinq semaines en France où j’ai eu la chance..."

im sure 'où j’ai eu la chance'is the past tense, but i'm confused on how to switch it??? :confused:

2. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    The English sentence does not seem to be complete. "... where I had the chance to what ..." ?

3. BalletBabe Junior Member

English - NZ
    i'm having the chance to spend time in the lovely city of Montpellier....

i'm having the chance = in french please? (i tried, see example above) but i really have no idea how to it properly....

help please :D

4. toban

toban Senior Member

Québec
    English - Canada
    How about: "Je viens de passer cinq semaines en France, où j'ai eu l'occasion de passer du temps..." (cf. this previous thread.)

5. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    Good, except for the unfortunate repetition of passer...

Could we go with « Je viens de passer cinq semaines en France, où j'ai eu l'occasion de visiter / faire connaissance de Montpellier ». ==:)( I know, faire connaissance does not quite cut the cake, does it?)

6. Do you mean you'r still in France or what??

7. BalletBabe Junior Member

English - NZ
    i'm still in france... reply 2 blue vs. green comment!

8. Well, we can't say "je vient de passer" but may be something like,

=>Cela fait déjat cinq semaines que je suis en france, ou j'ai eu l'occasion de pouvoir visiter Montpellier....(I had the chance-alrady happend)

=>Cela fait déjat cinq semaines que je suis en France, ou j'ai l'occasion de pouvoir visiter....(I have the chance-still happening)

9. toban

toban Senior Member

Québec
    English - Canada
    Also, please note that "you're" is a contraction of "you" and "are" whereby the only deleted letter is the 'a'.

BalletBabe, perhaps your original sentence would have been more clear if you had said, "I have been in France for five weeks, and I've had the chance..."

I would translate that as: "Je suis en France depuis cinq semaines et j'ai eu l'occasion..."

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008